Wild card Brands stuns top seed Simon in Hamburg
Hamburg: German wild card Daniel Brands stunned top seed Gilles Simon of France, beating the world number seven 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 to advance to the third round of the German Open in Hamburg.
The pair traded early breaks before Simon, still in search of his season`s first title, broke again to race into the lead 5-2 and serve out the set two games later.
Simon got another early break to go 2-1 up in the second but the determined 22-year-old Brands, ranked 120th in the world, broke twice to lead 4-2.
The Frenchman raced back to 4-4 with some well-placed groundstrokes but Brands hung in to break again and level the match.
The German then got the break he wanted in the fifth game of the third set to go 4-2 up and serve out the match on his third match point.
World number 16 Tommy Robredo, seeded fourth, also suffered an early exit at the hands of Spanish compatriot Ivan Navarro, ranked 103rd, losing 7-5, 7-6.
Uruguayan Pablo Cuevas came from a break down in the first set to sweep past ninth-seed Juergen Melzer from Austria 7-6, 6-3 while Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka, seeded fifth, lost 6-2, 6-4 to Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez.
French 13th-seed Paul-Henri Mathieu was lucky to escape against 145th-ranked Pere Riba of Spain, battling his way through three sets to win 6-1, 2-6, 7-6.
Serb Viktor Troicki, seeded 10th, also had to battle hard -- for two hours and 40 minutes -- until breaking the resistance of Russian Teimuraz Gabashvilli 3-6, 6-2, 6-4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day