Wild card Brands stuns top seed Simon in Hamburg
Hamburg: German wild card Daniel Brands stunned top seed Gilles Simon of France, beating the world number seven 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 to advance to the third round of the German Open in Hamburg.
The pair traded early breaks before Simon, still in search of his season`s first title, broke again to race into the lead 5-2 and serve out the set two games later.
Simon got another early break to go 2-1 up in the second but the determined 22-year-old Brands, ranked 120th in the world, broke twice to lead 4-2.
The Frenchman raced back to 4-4 with some well-placed groundstrokes but Brands hung in to break again and level the match.
The German then got the break he wanted in the fifth game of the third set to go 4-2 up and serve out the match on his third match point.
World number 16 Tommy Robredo, seeded fourth, also suffered an early exit at the hands of Spanish compatriot Ivan Navarro, ranked 103rd, losing 7-5, 7-6.
Uruguayan Pablo Cuevas came from a break down in the first set to sweep past ninth-seed Juergen Melzer from Austria 7-6, 6-3 while Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka, seeded fifth, lost 6-2, 6-4 to Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez.
French 13th-seed Paul-Henri Mathieu was lucky to escape against 145th-ranked Pere Riba of Spain, battling his way through three sets to win 6-1, 2-6, 7-6.
Serb Viktor Troicki, seeded 10th, also had to battle hard -- for two hours and 40 minutes -- until breaking the resistance of Russian Teimuraz Gabashvilli 3-6, 6-2, 6-4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins