Wild card Brands stuns top seed Simon in Hamburg
Hamburg: German wild card Daniel Brands stunned top seed Gilles Simon of France, beating the world number seven 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 to advance to the third round of the German Open in Hamburg.
The pair traded early breaks before Simon, still in search of his season`s first title, broke again to race into the lead 5-2 and serve out the set two games later.
Simon got another early break to go 2-1 up in the second but the determined 22-year-old Brands, ranked 120th in the world, broke twice to lead 4-2.
The Frenchman raced back to 4-4 with some well-placed groundstrokes but Brands hung in to break again and level the match.
The German then got the break he wanted in the fifth game of the third set to go 4-2 up and serve out the match on his third match point.
World number 16 Tommy Robredo, seeded fourth, also suffered an early exit at the hands of Spanish compatriot Ivan Navarro, ranked 103rd, losing 7-5, 7-6.
Uruguayan Pablo Cuevas came from a break down in the first set to sweep past ninth-seed Juergen Melzer from Austria 7-6, 6-3 while Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka, seeded fifth, lost 6-2, 6-4 to Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez.
French 13th-seed Paul-Henri Mathieu was lucky to escape against 145th-ranked Pere Riba of Spain, battling his way through three sets to win 6-1, 2-6, 7-6.
Serb Viktor Troicki, seeded 10th, also had to battle hard -- for two hours and 40 minutes -- until breaking the resistance of Russian Teimuraz Gabashvilli 3-6, 6-2, 6-4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves