Will bring perpetrators to justice: PM
PM Manmohan Singh condemned the "barbaric" bomb blasts in Mumbai.
Mumbai: Strongly condemning the "barbaric" bomb blasts in Mumbai, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday said that those responsible for the tragedy will be brought to justice and promised that his government will do everything to prevent such attacks in future.
“Perpetrators of the blasts shall be subject to the rule of law that they have sought to subvert. They shall be pursued relentlessly and brought to justice quickly,” Manmohan Singh said in a statement shortly after his arrival in the city accompanied by UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi.
Singh, who arrived here to take stock of the situation said, “I cannot find words to condemn the barbaric acts of terror that resulted in the senseless killing and injuring of innocent people in Mumbai yesterday. I understand the shock and outrage of the people of Mumbai. I share their pain, anguish and anger.”
The Prime Minister, while trying to comfort those affected by triple terror blasts, said, “I have come here in solidarity with the people of Mumbai," while extending his "deepest condolences and sympathies to those who suffered in the terrible tragedy".
Shortly after his arrival here, a security review meeting was held at the Mumbai airport, which was attended by NIA chief, ATS chief, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and all top officials of the state government.
Singh said he had asked Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to continue to coordinate their efforts and resources to "relentlessly pursue the perpetrators".
After the review meeting, the Prime Minister held a meeting with top Congress leaders and discussed the situation in Mumbai in the aftermath of the blasts.
The Prime Minister and the UPA chief later visited Saifee and JJ hospitals, where a number of those injured are admitted.
Earlier in the day, Dr Singh had announced an ex-gratia assistance of Rs two lakh each for the kin of the deceased and Rs one lakh each for the seriously wounded from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund.
The Prime Minister cancelled the scheduled meeting of the Union Cabinet and decided to fly to Mumbai to take stock of the situation personally.
The Prime Minister also sought the cooperation of all citizens in this effort, saying "we owe this" to the grieving families.
He also assured the people that "the government will do everything in its power to prevent such attacks in the future."