Williams optimistic despite disappointing Open defeat
New York: Venus Williams fell short of a happy ending to her storybook run at the U.S. Open after her vaunted serve deserted her in the semi-finals against defending champion Kim Clijsters on Friday.
Despite the disappointing 4-6 7-6 6-4 defeat, the 30-year-old said she was confident she still had a lot of tennis left to play.
“I definitely feel like I’ll be back next year,” Williams told reporters. “This is what I do and I feel like I played great tennis even with minimal preparation.”
Williams, who was aching to add a third U.S. crown nine years after collecting her last, had not played a match since Wimbledon due to a knee injury but yet was agonisingly close to reaching the final.
After winning the first set 6-4 while losing only five points on serve, the seven-times grand slam winner reached a second-set tiebreaker against the Belgian before she suddenly wobbled on serve to start a slide to defeat.
Back-to-back double faults handed second seed Clijsters a big edge in the tiebreak and Williams never recovered after losing all four points on her serve to drop the decider 7-2.
“Obviously in the tiebreak I wasn’t able to play as well as I wanted,” the American third seed said. “I had too many errors, and she played some good tennis. I just wish I could have played the bigger points a little better.”
Williams said the wind bothered her during her serves in the tiebreaker, but added: “Regardless, I’ve got to get it in and start the point.
“It’s extremely disappointing not to be able to win this match today.”
After winning her previous five matches in straight sets, and carrying the Williams family banner alone in the absence of her injured younger sister Serena, Venus had hoped this might be her return to Flushing Meadows glory.
“I may have lost the match, but that’s just this match. There will be others,” she said.
“I feel like as long as I’m striking the ball well, I’m gonna keep playing. At this point I’m striking the ball well, so there is no end in sight at the moment.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP