Williams sisters bow out of Wimbledon 2011
Wimbledon: Defending champion Serena Williams was eliminated in the fourth round of Wimbledon on Monday, losing to 2007 finalist Marion Bartoli 6-3, 7-6 (6).
Later in the day her sister, Venus Williams` attempt to win a sixth Wimbledon title also ended with a 6-2, 6-3 loss to Tsvetana Pironkova of Bulgaria.
Serena Williams saved three match points at 6-5 in the second set and another in the tiebreaker before Bartoli put down a service winner to advance.
In another match, the 23-year-old Pironkova beat Venus 6-2, 6-3. She had defeated Venus by the same score to reach her first Grand Slam semifinal last year at Wimbledon. She also won their first-round match at the Australian Open in 2006.
It is the first time since 2006 that neither sister has reached the Wimbledon quarterfinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border
- Italy quake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors