Williams sisters bow out of Wimbledon 2011
Wimbledon: Defending champion Serena Williams was eliminated in the fourth round of Wimbledon on Monday, losing to 2007 finalist Marion Bartoli 6-3, 7-6 (6).
Later in the day her sister, Venus Williams` attempt to win a sixth Wimbledon title also ended with a 6-2, 6-3 loss to Tsvetana Pironkova of Bulgaria.
Serena Williams saved three match points at 6-5 in the second set and another in the tiebreaker before Bartoli put down a service winner to advance.
In another match, the 23-year-old Pironkova beat Venus 6-2, 6-3. She had defeated Venus by the same score to reach her first Grand Slam semifinal last year at Wimbledon. She also won their first-round match at the Australian Open in 2006.
It is the first time since 2006 that neither sister has reached the Wimbledon quarterfinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'