`Williams sisters WImbledon domination over`
London: Tennis legend Martina Navratilova has said that the era of Wimbledon domination by the Williams sisters is over.
The American siblings had won nine of the last 11 titles at Wimbledon, but both were knocked out in the fourth round this year.
Serena, 29, was playing her first Grand Slam since Wimbledon last year while 31-year-old Venus had been out since the Australian Open in January because of injuries.
Navratilova reckons that Serena can still contend, but she believes five-time winner Venus is no longer the same force, with a new generation of young players coming through, a daily reports.
“It’s been a strange year because we’ve had older players coming through. At the French Open, Maria Sharapova was the youngest semi-finalist. Here she’s the oldest. Maybe this is the changing of the guard. Maybe this is the new blood coming,” said the winner of nine Wimbledon singles titles.
“I think we’re seeing the new players taking charge. Most of all, they’re playing to win. They’re not scared out there. I wouldn’t write off Serena quite yet. Venus is two years older and it gets harder after 30. Serena will still be back,” Navratilova added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demand ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!