`Williams sisters WImbledon domination over`
London: Tennis legend Martina Navratilova has said that the era of Wimbledon domination by the Williams sisters is over.
The American siblings had won nine of the last 11 titles at Wimbledon, but both were knocked out in the fourth round this year.
Serena, 29, was playing her first Grand Slam since Wimbledon last year while 31-year-old Venus had been out since the Australian Open in January because of injuries.
Navratilova reckons that Serena can still contend, but she believes five-time winner Venus is no longer the same force, with a new generation of young players coming through, a daily reports.
“It’s been a strange year because we’ve had older players coming through. At the French Open, Maria Sharapova was the youngest semi-finalist. Here she’s the oldest. Maybe this is the changing of the guard. Maybe this is the new blood coming,” said the winner of nine Wimbledon singles titles.
“I think we’re seeing the new players taking charge. Most of all, they’re playing to win. They’re not scared out there. I wouldn’t write off Serena quite yet. Venus is two years older and it gets harder after 30. Serena will still be back,” Navratilova added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor