`Williams sisters WImbledon domination over`
London: Tennis legend Martina Navratilova has said that the era of Wimbledon domination by the Williams sisters is over.
The American siblings had won nine of the last 11 titles at Wimbledon, but both were knocked out in the fourth round this year.
Serena, 29, was playing her first Grand Slam since Wimbledon last year while 31-year-old Venus had been out since the Australian Open in January because of injuries.
Navratilova reckons that Serena can still contend, but she believes five-time winner Venus is no longer the same force, with a new generation of young players coming through, a daily reports.
“It’s been a strange year because we’ve had older players coming through. At the French Open, Maria Sharapova was the youngest semi-finalist. Here she’s the oldest. Maybe this is the changing of the guard. Maybe this is the new blood coming,” said the winner of nine Wimbledon singles titles.
“I think we’re seeing the new players taking charge. Most of all, they’re playing to win. They’re not scared out there. I wouldn’t write off Serena quite yet. Venus is two years older and it gets harder after 30. Serena will still be back,” Navratilova added.
- Is Bhagat Singh a revolutionary terrorist? : Taal Thok Ke Extra Strong - Part 1
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part II
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part III
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part IV
- Dozen laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Pakistan has received Letters Rogatory in Pathankot case: Minister
- Interlinking rivers only solution to drought: Government
- VVIP chopper scam: Govt to seek CBI report, blacklist AgustaWestland; Sonia Gandhi rejects allegations against her
- Pakistani fanatics heckle, show shoe to Kabir Khan at Karachi airport - Watch