Win-ningest Phelps strikes back; knocks-off 200m World Record
Rome: Michael Phelps bounced back from a stunning loss to set a world record in the 200-meter butterfly at the world swimming championships.
One night after he was soundly beaten by Germany`s Paul Biedermann in the 200 freestyle, Phelps got back on track Wednesday with a time of 1 minute, 51.51 seconds — more than a half-second ahead of his previous mark, 1:52.03.
Phelps whipped around quickly to see his time and held up his right index finger when the record was posted. It was the 19th world record at these championships, the last major competition before bodysuits are banned.
Earlier, Germany`s Daniela Samulski and Russia`s Anastasia Zueva have set the 17th and 18th world records of the world swimming championships in the semifinals of the 50-meter backstroke.
Going in the first heat Wednesday, Samulski touched with a time of 27.39 seconds to knock off her own record of 27.61, set about a month ago in Berlin.
This mark didn`t last nearly as long. About 5 minutes later, Zueva broke Samulski`s record with a time of 27.38.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla