Windows 8 for PCs, tablets next year
New York: Microsoft will ship Windows 8 for desktop computers and tablets next year and the updated Windows Phone 7 will have 500 new features.
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said Monday: "As we progress through the year, you ought to expect to hear a lot about Windows 8. Windows 8 slates, tablets, PCs, a variety of different form factors."
The Microsoft chief, who was addressing a developers` meet in Tokyo, also said that the upgraded Windows Phone 7 - to be announced Tuesday - will also have 500 new features.
Announcing that the company has sold over 350 million Windows 7 PCs this year, he said: "We have done a lot in Windows 7 to improve customer satisfaction. We have a brand-new user interface. We have added touch and ink and speech. And yet, as we look forward to the next generation of Windows systems, which will come out next year, there is a whole lot more coming."
Calling the release of Windows Phone 7 in November "about a year later than I wish we had", the Microsoft chief said: "But we are moving forward very actively. We launched Windows Phones last November. We have done a set of upgrades. We have a release that will come to market later this year in Japan. Not only is it a new release that is now much more global, but we have added over 500 new features to Windows Phone."
Interestingly, Microsoft had played up Windows Phone 7 at the November launch by dubbing iPhone and Google Android devices as `faulty` in design.
"It (Window Phone 7) really speaks to our commitment to understanding what consumers want, and our resurrection in the mobile category," Todd Peters, corporate vice president of the Mobile Communications Marketing Group, had said.
He had described Windows Phone 7 as Microsoft`s answer to "poor smartphone design that keeps people fumbling with their phones as they walk down the block or sit down to dinner with family".
But this strategy didn`t pay off.
The software giant has now entered into a strategic tie-up with global handset market leader Nokia, which will adopt the Windows 7 Phone as its main smart phone strategy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!