Wipro begins land acquisition process
Kolkata: West Bengal`s industrialisation
drive got a shot in the arm on the new year`s day today with
IT services major Wipro Technologies paying Rs 18.9 crore as
the first instalment towards the cost of land at Rajarhat
where it plans to set up its second campus in the state.
Wipro has purchased a 50-acre plot of land at Rajarhat,
near the city, at a cost of Rs 75 crore and the entire amount
is to be cleared within 90 days of the first instalment,
sources in the IT department said.
Wipro was not available for comment.
West Bengal IT minister Debesh Das said it was good
that companies had kept faith in the state and were
maintaining their commitment.
Wipro chairman Azim Premji had visited the plot with
officials of his company last December after finalising the
deal with Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee.
The land belongs to the Housing Infrastructure
Development Corporation (Hidco) and it charged the IT giant
close to Rs 1.5 crore per acre.
Premji had said his company would start work in 18
There was no news yet, however, from another IT giant
Infosys which was also offered a 50-acre plot of land at
Rajarhar to set up a campus.
The state government had in November-December hurriedly
offered 50 acres each to Infosys and Wipro at proper Rajarhat
township after the proposed IT township project was shelved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow