Wockhardt gets US nod for Levofloxacin
New Delhi: Pharmaceutical major Wockhardt has received tentative approval from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for marketing the 250 mg, 500 mg and 750 mg tablets of Levofloxacin, used for treatment of bacterial infections.
Levofloxacin is the generic name for the brand Levaquin, marketed in the US by Ortho Mcneil (Johnson & Johnson). Wockhardt will launch the product immediately upon expiration of the patent on June 20, 2011, the company said in a statement.
Levofloxacin is a very widely used antibacterial drug and belongs to the fluoroquinolone group. The total market for Levofloxacin tablets in the US is about $1.6 billion.
“Ability to launch products on the date of patent expiration is the most critical element of success in the highly competitive US generics market,” said Wockhardt chairman Habil Khorakiwala.
“Receiving the tentative approval will enable Wockhardt to plan a successful launch of Levofloxacin in the US. We have had a good start to the year 2010, with two tentative approvals in as many weeks,” he added.
The Levofloxacin tablets will be manufactured at the US FDA certified formulation plant at Waluj, Aurangabad, the company said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!