Wolfsburg floor Besiktas with two late goals
London: VfL Wolfsburg struck two late goals to win 3-0 at Besiktas and strengthen their grip on second place in Champions League Group B.
The visitors took control early on and Zvjezdan Misimovic scored in the 14th minute with a long-range strike that flew past Besiktas goalkeeper Hakan Arikan.
Wolfsburg kept Hakan busy with a succession of efforts at goal and Misimovic was a constant threat.
The Turkish team came to life towards the end of the first half with Michael Fink, Ibrahim Uzulmez and Serdar Ozkan going close.
Besiktas then tested keeper Diego Benaglio with long-range shots from Fink and Rodrigo Tabata in the second period.
However, with 10 minutes remaining Christian Gentner doubled the lead for the German champions when he rounded keeper Hakan and fired the ball home.
Edin Dzeko completed victory with the third goal after 87 minutes.
The result left Wolfsburg second on seven points, three behind Manchester United who reached the knockout stages after drawing 3-3 at home to CSKA Moscow.
Besiktas, bottom with one point from four matches, have no hope of qualifying.
"Despite all our efforts this evening we weren`t successful in creating opportunities," said Besiktas coach Mustafa Denizli.
"There is a lack of confidence in the team this year and we are having difficulty in finding the net."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting begins - Who will win BJP or Shiv Sena?
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: BJP's Rita Padole, Ravi Landge win from Amravati, Pimpri Chinchwad seats; Shiv Sena takes early lead in BMC polls