Wolfsburg floor Besiktas with two late goals
London: VfL Wolfsburg struck two late goals to win 3-0 at Besiktas and strengthen their grip on second place in Champions League Group B.
The visitors took control early on and Zvjezdan Misimovic scored in the 14th minute with a long-range strike that flew past Besiktas goalkeeper Hakan Arikan.
Wolfsburg kept Hakan busy with a succession of efforts at goal and Misimovic was a constant threat.
The Turkish team came to life towards the end of the first half with Michael Fink, Ibrahim Uzulmez and Serdar Ozkan going close.
Besiktas then tested keeper Diego Benaglio with long-range shots from Fink and Rodrigo Tabata in the second period.
However, with 10 minutes remaining Christian Gentner doubled the lead for the German champions when he rounded keeper Hakan and fired the ball home.
Edin Dzeko completed victory with the third goal after 87 minutes.
The result left Wolfsburg second on seven points, three behind Manchester United who reached the knockout stages after drawing 3-3 at home to CSKA Moscow.
Besiktas, bottom with one point from four matches, have no hope of qualifying.
"Despite all our efforts this evening we weren`t successful in creating opportunities," said Besiktas coach Mustafa Denizli.
"There is a lack of confidence in the team this year and we are having difficulty in finding the net."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan