Wolfsburg floor Besiktas with two late goals
London: VfL Wolfsburg struck two late goals to win 3-0 at Besiktas and strengthen their grip on second place in Champions League Group B.
The visitors took control early on and Zvjezdan Misimovic scored in the 14th minute with a long-range strike that flew past Besiktas goalkeeper Hakan Arikan.
Wolfsburg kept Hakan busy with a succession of efforts at goal and Misimovic was a constant threat.
The Turkish team came to life towards the end of the first half with Michael Fink, Ibrahim Uzulmez and Serdar Ozkan going close.
Besiktas then tested keeper Diego Benaglio with long-range shots from Fink and Rodrigo Tabata in the second period.
However, with 10 minutes remaining Christian Gentner doubled the lead for the German champions when he rounded keeper Hakan and fired the ball home.
Edin Dzeko completed victory with the third goal after 87 minutes.
The result left Wolfsburg second on seven points, three behind Manchester United who reached the knockout stages after drawing 3-3 at home to CSKA Moscow.
Besiktas, bottom with one point from four matches, have no hope of qualifying.
"Despite all our efforts this evening we weren`t successful in creating opportunities," said Besiktas coach Mustafa Denizli.
"There is a lack of confidence in the team this year and we are having difficulty in finding the net."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'