Woman from Bihar gets life sentence for killing husband
New Delhi: A woman from Bihar was on Thursday
awarded rigorous life imprisonment by a Delhi court for
killing her husband as she did not approve of his abusive
nature and alleged illicit relationships with other women.
Additional Sessions Judge S K Sarvaria termed the
offence of killing by a sharp-edged weapon as "brutal" but
said it did not fall under the rarest of rare case category
warranting death sentence.
"Although it is proved that the offence was brutal as
the victim husband was given blows on his neck...but then in
every such case, brutality is involved and it in itself does
not bring the case in the category of the rarest of rare
case," the court said.
Considering the poor financial background of convict
Indu Devi, a resident of Gopalgunj in Bihar, the court did not
impose any fine on her.
The convict alongwith her husband, a TV mechanic, and
their 3-year-old daughter was living in a rented premise at
Mehrauli area in south Delhi.
The convict, who had a love marriage with the victim,
was deserted by her parents and was peeved by the abusive
nature of her husband. They used to quarrel over the victim`s
alleged extra-martial affairs, the prosecution said.
The woman, who initially did not co-operate in the
investigation, later broke down during the probe and confessed
her guilt. The weapon of offence was recovered at her
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days