Woman from Bihar gets life sentence for killing husband
New Delhi: A woman from Bihar was on Thursday
awarded rigorous life imprisonment by a Delhi court for
killing her husband as she did not approve of his abusive
nature and alleged illicit relationships with other women.
Additional Sessions Judge S K Sarvaria termed the
offence of killing by a sharp-edged weapon as "brutal" but
said it did not fall under the rarest of rare case category
warranting death sentence.
"Although it is proved that the offence was brutal as
the victim husband was given blows on his neck...but then in
every such case, brutality is involved and it in itself does
not bring the case in the category of the rarest of rare
case," the court said.
Considering the poor financial background of convict
Indu Devi, a resident of Gopalgunj in Bihar, the court did not
impose any fine on her.
The convict alongwith her husband, a TV mechanic, and
their 3-year-old daughter was living in a rented premise at
Mehrauli area in south Delhi.
The convict, who had a love marriage with the victim,
was deserted by her parents and was peeved by the abusive
nature of her husband. They used to quarrel over the victim`s
alleged extra-martial affairs, the prosecution said.
The woman, who initially did not co-operate in the
investigation, later broke down during the probe and confessed
her guilt. The weapon of offence was recovered at her
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman