Woman from Bihar gets life sentence for killing husband
New Delhi: A woman from Bihar was on Thursday
awarded rigorous life imprisonment by a Delhi court for
killing her husband as she did not approve of his abusive
nature and alleged illicit relationships with other women.
Additional Sessions Judge S K Sarvaria termed the
offence of killing by a sharp-edged weapon as "brutal" but
said it did not fall under the rarest of rare case category
warranting death sentence.
"Although it is proved that the offence was brutal as
the victim husband was given blows on his neck...but then in
every such case, brutality is involved and it in itself does
not bring the case in the category of the rarest of rare
case," the court said.
Considering the poor financial background of convict
Indu Devi, a resident of Gopalgunj in Bihar, the court did not
impose any fine on her.
The convict alongwith her husband, a TV mechanic, and
their 3-year-old daughter was living in a rented premise at
Mehrauli area in south Delhi.
The convict, who had a love marriage with the victim,
was deserted by her parents and was peeved by the abusive
nature of her husband. They used to quarrel over the victim`s
alleged extra-martial affairs, the prosecution said.
The woman, who initially did not co-operate in the
investigation, later broke down during the probe and confessed
her guilt. The weapon of offence was recovered at her
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!