Women archers lose to US but win silver
Kolkata: The women`s compound trio of Jhano Hansdah, Gagandeep Kaur and Manjudha Soy surrendered to the might of their opponents from the US to settle for a silver medal on the concluding day of the Archery World Cup Stage 3 Ogden (USA).
According to information received here, the American team of Erika Anschutz, Christie Colin and Jamie van Natta dominated the match from the beginning to beat the Indians by a hadsome margin (229-218) last night.
India, who had a fine chance of notching up four gold and one bronze medals, thus lost all their decisive matches to settle for four silver to finish fifth in the standings.
Powered by Brady Ellison`s three-gold medal effort in the men`s recurve section, the hosts topped the table with seven gold, two silver and one bronze.
Earlier on the penultimate day, India had lost the finals in the women`s team, individual and mixed pair events of the recurve sections, with Deepika Kumari squandering a golden chance of a hattrick of gold at the World Cup.
The lesser-known Indian compound archers, on the other hand, surprised with their first-ever entry in a World Cup, lost to the hosts.
In the compound final, India suffered a bad first arrow (6) to trail 52-56 in the first end.
The Americans dished out consistent performances as they repeated the same score in the second end to take a commanding 112-106 lead.
The gap just got better as the US shot two 9s and four 10s to lead 169-161 in the penultimate end before settling the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!