Women archers lose to US but win silver
Kolkata: The women`s compound trio of Jhano Hansdah, Gagandeep Kaur and Manjudha Soy surrendered to the might of their opponents from the US to settle for a silver medal on the concluding day of the Archery World Cup Stage 3 Ogden (USA).
According to information received here, the American team of Erika Anschutz, Christie Colin and Jamie van Natta dominated the match from the beginning to beat the Indians by a hadsome margin (229-218) last night.
India, who had a fine chance of notching up four gold and one bronze medals, thus lost all their decisive matches to settle for four silver to finish fifth in the standings.
Powered by Brady Ellison`s three-gold medal effort in the men`s recurve section, the hosts topped the table with seven gold, two silver and one bronze.
Earlier on the penultimate day, India had lost the finals in the women`s team, individual and mixed pair events of the recurve sections, with Deepika Kumari squandering a golden chance of a hattrick of gold at the World Cup.
The lesser-known Indian compound archers, on the other hand, surprised with their first-ever entry in a World Cup, lost to the hosts.
In the compound final, India suffered a bad first arrow (6) to trail 52-56 in the first end.
The Americans dished out consistent performances as they repeated the same score in the second end to take a commanding 112-106 lead.
The gap just got better as the US shot two 9s and four 10s to lead 169-161 in the penultimate end before settling the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!