Women archers lose to US but win silver
Kolkata: The women`s compound trio of Jhano Hansdah, Gagandeep Kaur and Manjudha Soy surrendered to the might of their opponents from the US to settle for a silver medal on the concluding day of the Archery World Cup Stage 3 Ogden (USA).
According to information received here, the American team of Erika Anschutz, Christie Colin and Jamie van Natta dominated the match from the beginning to beat the Indians by a hadsome margin (229-218) last night.
India, who had a fine chance of notching up four gold and one bronze medals, thus lost all their decisive matches to settle for four silver to finish fifth in the standings.
Powered by Brady Ellison`s three-gold medal effort in the men`s recurve section, the hosts topped the table with seven gold, two silver and one bronze.
Earlier on the penultimate day, India had lost the finals in the women`s team, individual and mixed pair events of the recurve sections, with Deepika Kumari squandering a golden chance of a hattrick of gold at the World Cup.
The lesser-known Indian compound archers, on the other hand, surprised with their first-ever entry in a World Cup, lost to the hosts.
In the compound final, India suffered a bad first arrow (6) to trail 52-56 in the first end.
The Americans dished out consistent performances as they repeated the same score in the second end to take a commanding 112-106 lead.
The gap just got better as the US shot two 9s and four 10s to lead 169-161 in the penultimate end before settling the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in