Women candidates constituencies’ see high polling
Chandigarh: Constituencies from where women
candidates staked their political fortunes witnessed high
polling in the January 30 Punjab assembly elections.
A total of 93 women out of 1078 contestants entered the
race for the state assembly this time.
A turnout of 87.21 per cent was recorded in Malerkotla
constituency where wives of two top cops -- one retired and
another serving -- crossed swords.
The ruling Shiromani Akali Dal had fielded first-timer
Farzana Alam, wife of retired DGP Mohammed Izhar Alam, against
opposition Congress` two-time MLA, Razia Sultana, wife of
state Additional Director General of Police Mohammed Mustafa.
The story was similar at Lehra from where former Chief
Minister Rajinder Kaur Bhattal sought re-election. The seat
from hinterland Malwa registered 85.74 per cent polling.
In Bholath seat from where former SGPC chief Bibi Jagir
Kaur (SAD) tried her luck, the turnout was 81 per cent.
Braving the winter chill, the electorate turned out in
large numbers at Muktsar which registered 82 per cent voting.
Former Chief Minister Harcharan Singh Brar`s daughter
Karan Kaur had entered the race from this seat.
SAD minister Upinderjeet Kaur`s Sultanpur Lodhi seat
witnessed 80.44 per cent polling.
In sharp contrast, Amritsar East assembly seat, where
BJP MP Navjot Sidhu`s wife Navjot Kaur tried her luck, saw
66.16 per cent voting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- US flight from New Orleans to Orlando makes emergency landing after engine fails
- WATCH! Dwayne Bravo bowls last ball of the match to MS Dhoni – This is what happened next
- 12 coaches of Thiruvananthapuram-Mangalore train derail in Kerala
- Hilarious: Sonakshi Sinha trolls Air India pilot on Snapchat! - Know why
- Curfew, restrictions continue in Kashmir Valley for 51st day