Women contestants only 7.84% in Assam
Guwahati: Only 7.48 percent of the 485 candidates are in the fray for 62 constituencies in the first phase of polling in Assam on Monday are women.
The 38 women contestants, including a minister and the deputy speaker, have been fielded from various political parties besides being independents, EC sources said.
The majority of 12 contestants are from the ruling Congress, followed by 10 from BJP and just 2 from main opposition Asom Gana Parishad.
The other political parties who have given tickets to women candidates are NCP 4, SUCI(Communist) and Trinamool Congress 2 each, besides Samajwadi Party and CPI-M 1 each.
Four women are trying their electoral luck as independents.
Among the Congress nominees are PWD Minister Ajanta Neog from Golaghat, Deputy Speaker Pranati Phukan from Naharkatia and former minister Amiya Gogoi from Duliajan.
The Congress kin in the fray today include sitting MLA and former Assam minister Ripun Bora`s wife Monika at Gohpur, ex-union minister Paban Singh Ghatowar`s wife Jibontara at Moran and his former cabinet colleague Santosh Mohan Dev`s
daughter Sushmita from Silchar.
Former Assam minister Jiba Kanta Gogoi`s daughter-in-law Bismita is in the fray for Khumtai and former minister Rashidul Haque`s daughter-in-law Salma Jesmin from Rupohihat.
BJP expelled MLA Rumi Nath is contesting as a Congress candidate from Barkhola.
For the AGP, Khumtai sitting MLA Probin Gogoi`s wife Upasana is contesting in his place, while sitting MLA Alaka Desai Sarma, widow of former minister Nagen Sarma, is seeking relection from Nalbari.
Also in the fray is Supriya Rani Brahma, wife of former Bodoland Peoples Council chief Prem Sing Brahma, the sources added.
The current Assembly has ten women legislators in a house of 126.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days