Women`s shopping guilt not long-lasting
London: Women feel guilty after splashing out big bucks on shopping, but not for long, and head straight to the mall for another spending spree, according to a survey.
The survey by Skinny Cow iced desserts has revealed that while 83 percent of women feel a tinge of shame after splashing out on clothes, shoes or accessories, yet they are content to spend an average 49 pounds a month on themselves.
The study of 3,000 women also found that 86 percent try to justify every new purchase, while others hide them from their partner.
Over one in 10 women said that she lied to her other half about the size of the bill, while a similar number confessed of pretending that new items were just old clothes recycled from their wardrobes.
One-fifth women in the survey were so keen to stay ahead of the latest trends that they were prepared to live on beans on toast so that they could afford a must-have handbag or pair of killer heels.
Twenty percent of women said that they had sold old clothes on the auction website eBay to fund a new purchase, and three per cent had even asked for an advance on their wages so they could splash out.
The survey of women aged 17 to 50 revealed that one-third of them felt more guilty about shopping now than they did before the credit crunch.
Fifty percent of women who love shopping said that they had reined in their spending because of the recession.
However, one in five said that even the economic slump had not dampened her shopping habits.
Seven per cent even admitted that they shopped more often to cheer themselves up amid the doom and gloom, with 96 per cent of the survey sample saying shopping lifted their spirits.
In total, the average woman spends eight years of her life shopping, making on average 301 trips to the high street each year.
"Life at the moment is full of stresses with money being right up there, but it``s difficult to break the habit of a lifetime," the Daily Express quoted a spokesman for Skinny Cow as saying.
The spokesman added: "Going shopping now comes with more baggage, so women are trying to find creative ways to justify their spree while looking to other indulgences in their life which are guilt-free."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow