Woods contemplates extra event with Presidents Cup
Los Angeles: Tiger Woods said on Monday he was considering playing in a PGA Tour Fall Series event later this year in a bid to justify his selection for the Presidents Cup team competition in November.
The former world number one is eager to take part in the Ryder Cup-style Presidents Cup in Australia from Nov. 17-20 but has been advised by United States captain Fred Couples to get more tournaments under his belt before then.
Woods failed to qualify for the PGA Tour`s elite FedExCup playoffs after missing the cut at the PGA Championship and his next scheduled event is the Nov. 10-13 Australian Open.
"I`ve had some conversations with US captain Fred Couples, and we`ll see how it goes. Of course, I want to be on the team. I`m just going to keep practising and try to get better," Woods said in a blog posted on his website.
"It`s Freddie`s call, and he can make any choice he wants. I might add another PGA Tour event to my schedule. Right now, I`m looking at my options."
Woods has played on every US Presidents Cup team since 1998 but he has been a shadow of his former dominant self since the end of 2009 while trying to rebuild his golf swing and private life following the breakup of his marriage.
His world ranking has slipped to 36th and the 14-times major champion faces the once unthinkable prospect of being ranked outside the top 50 when he next competes.
Before last week`s Senior Players Championship, Couples made his own intentions clear as to what he expected from the rusty Woods.
"He can`t just show up the week before in Australia," Couples said. "I have made it clear that whoever I picked will be playing the Australian tournament the week before. But I need him to play more than just there."
Woods does have plenty of options which range from teeing it up in the PGA Tour`s Fall Series, which generally attracts only the journeymen on the US circuit, or perhaps heading across to the late-season events on the European Tour.
There are four events in the Fall Series and the two most likely to attract his attention are the Sept. 29-Oct. 2 Las Vegas Open, where he won his first PGA Tour title in 1996, and the Oct. 20-23 Disney Classic in his home state of Florida.
If the PGA Championship does represent his final PGA Tour appearance of the season, Woods will end his 2011 campaign in the US with just two top-10s in eight starts.
His biggest problems have been injury and lack of practice. He was on the sidelines for three months while recovering from the left knee ligaments and Achilles tendon he hurt during the Masters in April, when he tied for fourth.
He missed two majors, the US Open and the British Open, and that unexpected hiatus was far from ideal as he continues working with coach Sean Foley through the fourth swing change of his career.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow