Woods PGA loss sees Paddy Power throw away 1.5 mln euros
Dublin: Tiger Woods`s failure to turn a commanding lead into a US PGA Championship win on Sunday not only cost him a 15th major, but also left Irish bookmaker Paddy Power 1.5 million euros (USD 2.12 million) out of pocket.
Paddy Power, renowned for settling its bets early, paid out to all backers of Woods after just 36 holes when the world number one was four shots clear at odds of 1/5.
However South Korean Yang Yong-eun became Asia`s first male major winner after overhauling Woods in stunning fashion to win at the Hazeltine National by three shots.
"It takes a special kind of dimwit to turn what should have been our best ever golf result into our worst," Paddy Power said in a statement.
"Paddy Power punters are obviously the big winners here and have made like bandits getting paid out on Tiger as a winner."
"Our only saving grace is that (Padraig) Harrington didn`t do the business, thank God!" the statement added in reference to the popular Irish golfer.
Yang was available at odds of 150/1 at the start of the tournament and 16/1 before the final round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- Abhishek Bachchan's 'family' birthday—See pics