World badminton: Jwala, Ashwini storm into semis
London: India`s Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa stormed into the semi-final of the World Badminton championships, upsetting Indonesian Vita Marissa and Nadya Melati 17-21, 21-10, 21-17 in women`s doubles here Friday.
India`s best hope Saina Nehwal, however, bowed out of the women`s singles, losing to Xin Wang of China 15-21, 10-21 in the quarterfinal.
Saina, seeded sixth, went down to the third seed in 30 minutes. In the previous two editons also Saina made a quarter-final exit.
With Saina`s loss, India`s challenge in the singles competition came to an end.
Unseeded Jwala and Ashwini, the gold medallist at the Commonwealth Games, kept Indian interest alive.
Continuing their giant-killing act, Jwala and Ashwini beat the Indonesian pair in 47 minutes. They lost the first game, but fought their way back to clinch the match.
Jwala and Ashwini shocked second seeded Wen Hsing Cheng and Yu Chin Chien in the second round to register their career`s biggest upset win. In the third round, they went on to beat Hong Kong`s Lok Yan Poon and Ying Suet Tse, seeded 11th.
They will next meet China`s Qing Tian and Yunlei Zhao, seeded fifth, who made short work of Japan`s Mizuki Fujii and Reika Kakiiwa 21-16, 21-10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145