World Cup Kabaddi declared open
Patiala: A captivating and colourful opening
ceremony gave a befitting start to 11-day World Cup Kabaddi
with Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal
declaring the event open here today.
After Badal declared the event open, the stage was set
for nine nations to vie for Rs. 2.2 crore prize money in the
World Cup Kabaddi. The nine nations collectively vowed to play
the games in sportsmanship spirit.
The presence of cine star Dharmender and his son Sunny
Deol in turbaned outfits added a zing to the tournament.
Speaking on the occasion, Badal expressed happiness that
his dream of giving boost to the traditional game of Kabbadi
has been realised.
He said that new sports policy of the state, besides
focusing on rural games, would open new vistas of employment
for players with directions being issued to every department
to fill the backlog of sports quota jobs within six months.
The winning team would receive a cash prize of Rs one
crore besides a glittering rolling trophy. Runners-up team
would take Rs 51 lakh and third place finishing team Rs 21
The fourth position holders will get Rs 10 lakh while
individual awards will also be given in the form of tractors.
Each team will also get a sum of Rs 5 lakh as appearance
money, Badal announced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!