World No.1 Wozniacki out in Rd 2 of Sydney Int`l
Sydney: World number one Caroline Wozniacki was knocked out in the second round of the Sydney International in straight sets on Tuesday.
Denmark`s Wozniacki, who had a bye into the second round, was beaten by Slovakia`s 32nd-ranked Dominika Cibulkova, 6-3, 6-3, in one hour 40 minutes of a rain-interrupted match.
It was Wozniacki`s first loss to a player ranked outside the WTA top 30 since losing to Petra Kvitova in the semi-finals at last year`s Wimbledon.
Wozniacki goes into next week`s Australian Open in Melbourne under growing pressure to win her first Grand Slam after winning 12 WTA singles titles last year and hitting number one in the rankings last October.
It was Wozniacki`s first WTA match of the new season after she played in a Hong Kong exhibition last week.
Wozniacki has a poor record in Sydney, reaching the quarter-finals on her debut in 2009 and losing in the first round to China`s Li Na last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj