World No.1 Wozniacki out in Rd 2 of Sydney Int`l
Sydney: World number one Caroline Wozniacki was knocked out in the second round of the Sydney International in straight sets on Tuesday.
Denmark`s Wozniacki, who had a bye into the second round, was beaten by Slovakia`s 32nd-ranked Dominika Cibulkova, 6-3, 6-3, in one hour 40 minutes of a rain-interrupted match.
It was Wozniacki`s first loss to a player ranked outside the WTA top 30 since losing to Petra Kvitova in the semi-finals at last year`s Wimbledon.
Wozniacki goes into next week`s Australian Open in Melbourne under growing pressure to win her first Grand Slam after winning 12 WTA singles titles last year and hitting number one in the rankings last October.
It was Wozniacki`s first WTA match of the new season after she played in a Hong Kong exhibition last week.
Wozniacki has a poor record in Sydney, reaching the quarter-finals on her debut in 2009 and losing in the first round to China`s Li Na last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Say goodbye to your acidity woes with these ten simple tips!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital