World No.1 Wozniacki out in Rd 2 of Sydney Int`l
Sydney: World number one Caroline Wozniacki was knocked out in the second round of the Sydney International in straight sets on Tuesday.
Denmark`s Wozniacki, who had a bye into the second round, was beaten by Slovakia`s 32nd-ranked Dominika Cibulkova, 6-3, 6-3, in one hour 40 minutes of a rain-interrupted match.
It was Wozniacki`s first loss to a player ranked outside the WTA top 30 since losing to Petra Kvitova in the semi-finals at last year`s Wimbledon.
Wozniacki goes into next week`s Australian Open in Melbourne under growing pressure to win her first Grand Slam after winning 12 WTA singles titles last year and hitting number one in the rankings last October.
It was Wozniacki`s first WTA match of the new season after she played in a Hong Kong exhibition last week.
Wozniacki has a poor record in Sydney, reaching the quarter-finals on her debut in 2009 and losing in the first round to China`s Li Na last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Sugar prices soar to Rs 42/kg; FM holds inter-ministerial meeting on banning futures trading
- TCL 562 Review: Well-performing smartphone that's worth its price
- Fraud suspect wanted by China pays $31m to end NZ probe
- A massive rift is threatening Antarctic Larsen C ice shelf to collapse
- 46th day of curfew, restrictions cripple Kashmir