World Punjabi Organisation to honour Abhinav Bindra
Chandigarh:India`s lone Olympic gold medal winning shooter, Abhinav Bindra will be awarded the `Punjabi Rattan` award by World Punjabi Organisation (WPO) in New Delhi next week.
WPO, a non-political body of Punjabis to foster social, economic and cultural bondage among the community around the globe, would confer the award on April 16.
The award would be bestowed on Bindra for winning the shooting gold at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 at a function to be held at New Delhi`s Sirifort auditorium, a release issued by WPO said here today.
It said that WPO has undertaken over 100 social, cultural and philanthropic projects to promote the rich culture of Punjab and help the poor and deserving Punjabi students.
The WPO has in the past honoured eminent Punjabi achievers from different walks of life for their outstanding contribution in their selected fields.
Some of the awardees include former Army Chief, J J Singh, veteran journalist Kuldip Nayar, leading cardiologist Dr Naresh Trehan, Congress MP, Raj Babbar and former Canadian MP of Indian origin, Ujjal Dosanjh, release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka