World Punjabi Organisation to honour Abhinav Bindra
Chandigarh:India`s lone Olympic gold medal winning shooter, Abhinav Bindra will be awarded the `Punjabi Rattan` award by World Punjabi Organisation (WPO) in New Delhi next week.
WPO, a non-political body of Punjabis to foster social, economic and cultural bondage among the community around the globe, would confer the award on April 16.
The award would be bestowed on Bindra for winning the shooting gold at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 at a function to be held at New Delhi`s Sirifort auditorium, a release issued by WPO said here today.
It said that WPO has undertaken over 100 social, cultural and philanthropic projects to promote the rich culture of Punjab and help the poor and deserving Punjabi students.
The WPO has in the past honoured eminent Punjabi achievers from different walks of life for their outstanding contribution in their selected fields.
Some of the awardees include former Army Chief, J J Singh, veteran journalist Kuldip Nayar, leading cardiologist Dr Naresh Trehan, Congress MP, Raj Babbar and former Canadian MP of Indian origin, Ujjal Dosanjh, release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video