Wozniacki eyes grand slam glory after easy Rome start
Rome: World number one Caroline Wozniacki targeted grand slam success after overpowering qualifier Anastasia Rodionova 6-2, 6-0 in the Italian Open second round on Wednesday.
The Dane saved two break points after a lethargic start before brushing aside her disgruntled Australian opponent.
"I took time to get into the match and find my rhythm," the top seed told Reuters. "I was afraid it was going to be cold but it was alright in the end. Then I went for my shots and they came off."
Rodionova appeared ruffled by a line call in the fifth game with the scores locked at 2-2, losing her early swagger before the next 10 games.
"I`m not sure what happened," Wozniacki said. "I made an ace and that was that. I just went for it afterwards."
The 20-year-old, who has won 15 singles titles but not one of the four majors, said her aim was to change that stat.
"My main target this year are the grand slams," she said. "I`d like to win one but it`s not a catastrophe if I don`t. I`m just enjoying to be on the circuit and playing."
The Dane will next face Belgian Yanina Wickmayer, who came back from a set down to defeat 13th seed Ana Ivanovic 2-6, 7-6, 6-3.
The elegant Serbian took the first set and appeared to be cruising but when her ace was correctly challenged at 6-4 down in the tiebreak, she doubled-faulted and never recovered despite support from the centre court crowd.
In other matches, third-seed Victoria Azarenka of Belarus crushed local Sara Errani 6-1, 6-2 to set up a clash with Russian Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.
Fourth seed Li Na skipped past Spaniard Lourdes Dominguez Lino 6-4, 6-2 and will next play Australian Jarmila Gajdosova, a 6-2, 6-4 winner over American Bethanie Mattek-Sands who was playing just 16 hours after defeating Flavia Pennetta late on Tuesday.
Fifth seed Jelena Jankovic was sprightly enough in dispatching Czech Lucie Safarova 6-0, 6-3 for a third-round date with Spain`s Anabel Medina Garrigues and sixth seed Samantha Stosur rolled over Iveta Benesova 6-1, 7-5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow