Wozniacki eyes grand slam glory after easy Rome start
Rome: World number one Caroline Wozniacki targeted grand slam success after overpowering qualifier Anastasia Rodionova 6-2, 6-0 in the Italian Open second round on Wednesday.
The Dane saved two break points after a lethargic start before brushing aside her disgruntled Australian opponent.
"I took time to get into the match and find my rhythm," the top seed told Reuters. "I was afraid it was going to be cold but it was alright in the end. Then I went for my shots and they came off."
Rodionova appeared ruffled by a line call in the fifth game with the scores locked at 2-2, losing her early swagger before the next 10 games.
"I`m not sure what happened," Wozniacki said. "I made an ace and that was that. I just went for it afterwards."
The 20-year-old, who has won 15 singles titles but not one of the four majors, said her aim was to change that stat.
"My main target this year are the grand slams," she said. "I`d like to win one but it`s not a catastrophe if I don`t. I`m just enjoying to be on the circuit and playing."
The Dane will next face Belgian Yanina Wickmayer, who came back from a set down to defeat 13th seed Ana Ivanovic 2-6, 7-6, 6-3.
The elegant Serbian took the first set and appeared to be cruising but when her ace was correctly challenged at 6-4 down in the tiebreak, she doubled-faulted and never recovered despite support from the centre court crowd.
In other matches, third-seed Victoria Azarenka of Belarus crushed local Sara Errani 6-1, 6-2 to set up a clash with Russian Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.
Fourth seed Li Na skipped past Spaniard Lourdes Dominguez Lino 6-4, 6-2 and will next play Australian Jarmila Gajdosova, a 6-2, 6-4 winner over American Bethanie Mattek-Sands who was playing just 16 hours after defeating Flavia Pennetta late on Tuesday.
Fifth seed Jelena Jankovic was sprightly enough in dispatching Czech Lucie Safarova 6-0, 6-3 for a third-round date with Spain`s Anabel Medina Garrigues and sixth seed Samantha Stosur rolled over Iveta Benesova 6-1, 7-5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo