Wozniacki eyes grand slam glory after easy Rome start
Rome: World number one Caroline Wozniacki targeted grand slam success after overpowering qualifier Anastasia Rodionova 6-2, 6-0 in the Italian Open second round on Wednesday.
The Dane saved two break points after a lethargic start before brushing aside her disgruntled Australian opponent.
"I took time to get into the match and find my rhythm," the top seed told Reuters. "I was afraid it was going to be cold but it was alright in the end. Then I went for my shots and they came off."
Rodionova appeared ruffled by a line call in the fifth game with the scores locked at 2-2, losing her early swagger before the next 10 games.
"I`m not sure what happened," Wozniacki said. "I made an ace and that was that. I just went for it afterwards."
The 20-year-old, who has won 15 singles titles but not one of the four majors, said her aim was to change that stat.
"My main target this year are the grand slams," she said. "I`d like to win one but it`s not a catastrophe if I don`t. I`m just enjoying to be on the circuit and playing."
The Dane will next face Belgian Yanina Wickmayer, who came back from a set down to defeat 13th seed Ana Ivanovic 2-6, 7-6, 6-3.
The elegant Serbian took the first set and appeared to be cruising but when her ace was correctly challenged at 6-4 down in the tiebreak, she doubled-faulted and never recovered despite support from the centre court crowd.
In other matches, third-seed Victoria Azarenka of Belarus crushed local Sara Errani 6-1, 6-2 to set up a clash with Russian Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.
Fourth seed Li Na skipped past Spaniard Lourdes Dominguez Lino 6-4, 6-2 and will next play Australian Jarmila Gajdosova, a 6-2, 6-4 winner over American Bethanie Mattek-Sands who was playing just 16 hours after defeating Flavia Pennetta late on Tuesday.
Fifth seed Jelena Jankovic was sprightly enough in dispatching Czech Lucie Safarova 6-0, 6-3 for a third-round date with Spain`s Anabel Medina Garrigues and sixth seed Samantha Stosur rolled over Iveta Benesova 6-1, 7-5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka