Wozniacki out of Wimbledon 2011
London: World number one Caroline Wozniacki crashed out of Wimbledon in the fourth round on Monday as Slovakian 24th seed Dominika Cibulkova secured a shock 1-6, 7-6 (7/5), 7-5 victory.
Wozniacki has now failed to make it past the fourth round at the All England Club in five attempts and the Dane`s numerous critics will seize on this latest failure as further proof that she doesn`t deserve to be top of the rankings.
The 20-year-old lost her only Grand Slam final against Kim Clijsters at the 2009 US Open and she flopped at the French Open recently, losing in the third round against Daniela Hantuchova.
On Monday, it was the same old story as she crumbled under pressure against the inspired Cibulkova, who will play 2004 champion Maria Sharapova in the last eight.
Former French Open sem-finalist Cibulkova, 22, enjoyed a surprise win over highly-rated German Julia Goerges to secure her first appearance in the last 16 here.
But this was an even better result as she secured her third Grand Slam quarter-final berth.
Wozniacki made her intentions clear as she started with an ace and it wasn`t long before the Dane pressured Cibulkova into conceding the first break before taking the first set in only 24 minutes.
Cibulkova`s serve had seemed out of sorts but she began to establish some rhythm in a much tighter second set.
The Slovak had two set points at 6-5, but Wozniacki held on to force a tie-break.
Cibulkova`s fiesty play was a complete contrast to the first set and she took the tie-break as Wozniacki struggled to deal with some powerful forehands.
That set up a rollercoaster final set which saw Wozniacki break in the second game, only to then surrender her own serve.
When the Dane was broken again in the fifth game, Cibulkova had a golden opportunity to reach just her second Grand Slam quarter-final, but Wozniacki broke back immediately.
Both players were competing ferociously now but it was Cibulkova who landed the decisive blow as Wozniacki sent a backhand long at 5-5, giving the Slovakian a chance to serve out a famous win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Banks checking loan applicant's capacity to repay on Facebook, LinkedIn
- Uganda switches sides, dumping North Korea for South
- Indian Premier League 2016: Did David Warner deserve Most Valuable Player award more than Virat Kohli?
- Suicide bombings in Baghdad: Over 20 killed, 50 injured in series of attacks
- Know why PM Narendra Modi is asking for your support for particular task - WATCH