Wozniacki rocks New Haven after earthquake
New York: An earthquake halted play and forced the evacuation of the New Haven Open but it could not stop world number one Caroline Wozniacki from romping to a 6-3, 6-0 second round win over Slovenia`s Polona Hercog.
After opening match defeats in Toronto and Cincinnati, Wozniacki finally found some hard court form in her final tune-up ahead of the US Open overwhelming her Slovenian opponent in 73 minutes.
Chasing a fourth consecutive New Haven crown, the Dane got the match off to a slow start before finally making a breakthrough to go up 5-3 and holding serve to love to take the opening set.
She then showed her class and shifted into top gear to blow Hercog off the court in the second and sealed a convincing win.
Fans had to wait a little longer to see the world number one in action after play was stopped earlier in the day when a 5.9 magnitude earthquake rattled the east coast of the United States.
Centred in Virginia, the quake was felt in Connecticut shaking the Yale University campus forcing an evacuation of the grounds.
After being inspected by fire marshals, spectators were allowed back into the facility and play resumed later in the afternoon.
Russian Elena Vesnina provided another shock upsetting seventh seeded Serb Jelena Jankovic 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 after they had their first round match interrupted by the quake.
In other action, third seed Francesca Schiavone of Italy cruised to an easy 6-2, 6-1 second round victory over Romanian Monica Niculescu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena