Wozniacki rocks New Haven after earthquake
New York: An earthquake halted play and forced the evacuation of the New Haven Open but it could not stop world number one Caroline Wozniacki from romping to a 6-3, 6-0 second round win over Slovenia`s Polona Hercog.
After opening match defeats in Toronto and Cincinnati, Wozniacki finally found some hard court form in her final tune-up ahead of the US Open overwhelming her Slovenian opponent in 73 minutes.
Chasing a fourth consecutive New Haven crown, the Dane got the match off to a slow start before finally making a breakthrough to go up 5-3 and holding serve to love to take the opening set.
She then showed her class and shifted into top gear to blow Hercog off the court in the second and sealed a convincing win.
Fans had to wait a little longer to see the world number one in action after play was stopped earlier in the day when a 5.9 magnitude earthquake rattled the east coast of the United States.
Centred in Virginia, the quake was felt in Connecticut shaking the Yale University campus forcing an evacuation of the grounds.
After being inspected by fire marshals, spectators were allowed back into the facility and play resumed later in the afternoon.
Russian Elena Vesnina provided another shock upsetting seventh seeded Serb Jelena Jankovic 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 after they had their first round match interrupted by the quake.
In other action, third seed Francesca Schiavone of Italy cruised to an easy 6-2, 6-1 second round victory over Romanian Monica Niculescu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt