Wozniacki to play in Sydney International
Sydney: World number one Caroline Wozniacki will use the Sydney International as her final preparation for next month`s Australian Open, organisers said on Wednesday.
Denmark`s Wozniacki, 20, becomes the fourth top 20 ranked women`s player to commit to the January 9-15 tournament along with US Open champion Kim Clijsters, Australian Samantha Stosur and Ana Ivanovic.
Wozniacki will return to the Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre for the third straight year as her leadup tournament to next year`s opening grand slam in Melbourne, starting on January 17.
"I feel that the Sydney International is the best preparation for the Australian Open," Wozniacki said in a statement.
"All the top players will be competing there in Sydney and because of this I am confident that I?ll get the matches I need."
Tournament Director Craig Watson said he expected seven of the top 10 ranked women to confirm their participation by the time entries close next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!