Wozniacki to play in Sydney International
Sydney: World number one Caroline Wozniacki will use the Sydney International as her final preparation for next month`s Australian Open, organisers said on Wednesday.
Denmark`s Wozniacki, 20, becomes the fourth top 20 ranked women`s player to commit to the January 9-15 tournament along with US Open champion Kim Clijsters, Australian Samantha Stosur and Ana Ivanovic.
Wozniacki will return to the Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre for the third straight year as her leadup tournament to next year`s opening grand slam in Melbourne, starting on January 17.
"I feel that the Sydney International is the best preparation for the Australian Open," Wozniacki said in a statement.
"All the top players will be competing there in Sydney and because of this I am confident that I?ll get the matches I need."
Tournament Director Craig Watson said he expected seven of the top 10 ranked women to confirm their participation by the time entries close next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars