Wozniacki, Zvonereva through to Qatar semi-finals
Doha: World number one Caroline Wozniacki reeled off 12 successive games to ease into the semi-finals of the Qatar Open after a 6-2, 6-0 demolition of Italian Flavia Pennetta on Thursday.
Second seed and world number three Vera Zvonereva was made to work harder for her semi-final spot after a 7-5, 6-7, 7-5 win over Slovakia`s Daniela Hantuchova in a match that lasted more than three hours.
Having lost the opening two games, Dane Wozniacki did not drop another in a ruthless display to remain on course for a second straight title after winning the Dubai championships on Sunday.
Wozniacki next faces Marion Bartoli after the Frenchwoman swatted aside China`s Peng Shuai 6-2, 6-2.
"I thought I played well. It could have been 6-1 in the second set instead of 6-2, even 6-0. But it was a great performance overall," said Bartoli.
Russian Zvonereva will play Jelena Jankovic for a place in the final after the Serb downed Czech Klara Zakopalova 6-2, 6-4 despite being troubled with a knee injury during the second set.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!