Wozniacki, Zvonereva through to Qatar semi-finals
Doha: World number one Caroline Wozniacki reeled off 12 successive games to ease into the semi-finals of the Qatar Open after a 6-2, 6-0 demolition of Italian Flavia Pennetta on Thursday.
Second seed and world number three Vera Zvonereva was made to work harder for her semi-final spot after a 7-5, 6-7, 7-5 win over Slovakia`s Daniela Hantuchova in a match that lasted more than three hours.
Having lost the opening two games, Dane Wozniacki did not drop another in a ruthless display to remain on course for a second straight title after winning the Dubai championships on Sunday.
Wozniacki next faces Marion Bartoli after the Frenchwoman swatted aside China`s Peng Shuai 6-2, 6-2.
"I thought I played well. It could have been 6-1 in the second set instead of 6-2, even 6-0. But it was a great performance overall," said Bartoli.
Russian Zvonereva will play Jelena Jankovic for a place in the final after the Serb downed Czech Klara Zakopalova 6-2, 6-4 despite being troubled with a knee injury during the second set.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed