Wozniacki, Zvonereva through to Qatar semi-finals
Doha: World number one Caroline Wozniacki reeled off 12 successive games to ease into the semi-finals of the Qatar Open after a 6-2, 6-0 demolition of Italian Flavia Pennetta on Thursday.
Second seed and world number three Vera Zvonereva was made to work harder for her semi-final spot after a 7-5, 6-7, 7-5 win over Slovakia`s Daniela Hantuchova in a match that lasted more than three hours.
Having lost the opening two games, Dane Wozniacki did not drop another in a ruthless display to remain on course for a second straight title after winning the Dubai championships on Sunday.
Wozniacki next faces Marion Bartoli after the Frenchwoman swatted aside China`s Peng Shuai 6-2, 6-2.
"I thought I played well. It could have been 6-1 in the second set instead of 6-2, even 6-0. But it was a great performance overall," said Bartoli.
Russian Zvonereva will play Jelena Jankovic for a place in the final after the Serb downed Czech Klara Zakopalova 6-2, 6-4 despite being troubled with a knee injury during the second set.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"