Xavi backs Messi and slams Copa America pitches
Barcelona: Criticism of Lionel Messi following Argentina`s Copa America exit is "totally exaggerated" and having decent pitches would have helped him play better, his Barcelona team mate Xavi said on Wednesday.
"Leo is the best footballer in the world and unfortunately for him when things are not going well (for Argentina) criticism is directed his way," Xavi told a news conference.
"The criticism is totally exaggerated as he had a fantastic Copa America despite the setback of Argentina`s elimination," the Spain playmaker added.
Argentina, who last won the Copa in 1993 and are hosting the current tournament, were slammed in the media after falling to Uruguay in a penalty shootout in the quarter-finals.
As the reigning World Player of the Year, Argentines were looking to Messi to lead them to their first major success since their Copa triumph in Ecuador in 1993.
Xavi said some of the pitches at the Copa were "not at all in good condition" and the situation was "a shame for soccer".
"It`s fundamental that the grass is in good shape," he said.
"On a pitch in bad condition everything becomes more equal, physically, in terms of talent, technically. On a good pitch maybe talent can shine through more."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened