Yamaha to launch scooters in India
New Delhi: Japanese two-wheeler maker Yamaha
on Sunday said it will introduce scooters in the Indian market in
order to tap the potential in segment.
The company is currently conducting a feasibility study
on the scooter market, which is expected to be complete by the
middle of this year.
"We are studying the market to enter the scooter segment,
but we have not finalised the product line yet. However, one
thing is sure that we will launch scooters in India," India
Yamaha Motor National Business Head Pankaj Dubey told a news agency at the 10th Auto Expo here.
The feasibility study is focusing on areas such as the model to be introduced and possible timeframe of launching the product in the country, he added.
"We are evaluating whether a model from our existing
global scooter portfolio will be launched here or a completely
new product will be developed for the Indian market," he said,
adding that the company is also evaluating whether Yamaha
would focus on premium or mass market product.
The Indian two-wheeler market comprises about 80 lakh
units per annum, of which over 75 percent is constituted by
Last week the company said it was looking at 10 percent
market-share in the Indian motorcycle segment by 2012.
The company is also aiming to increase its market share
in the 150cc motorcycle segment to 25 percent by the end of
this year from 15 percent at present. The segment comprises
about 8.5 lakh units per annum.
Indian Yamaha Motor had earlier launched an advanced
version of its racing bike YZS-R1 at the Auto Expo. It also
launched a limited edition of its 150cc bike YZS-R15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug