Yanam: Trade unions call for bandh on Feb 2
Puducherry: Leaders of all trade unions here called for a bandh in the Puducherry Union Territory on February 2 to urge the territorial government to order a probe
by a High Court judge into the recent death of a union leader due to alleged police action in Yanam, an enclave of Puducherry in Andhra Pradesh.
In addition to a probe by a High Court judge, the unions are also seeking sanction of a solatium of Rs 25 lakhs to the family of the deceased union leader.
The decision was taken following a meeting of leaders of AITUC, CITU, INTUC, and unions of various other parties today, Dinesh Ponniah, Deputy General Secretary of the Puducherry state council of the AITUC, told a news agency.
Violence had broken out in Yanam on Jan 27 when frenzied workers of a private factory, Regency Ceramics, went on the rampage after their leader MS Murali Mohan was allegedly killed in police action outside the factory. The workers
attacked the residence of president (Operations) KC Chandrasekhar, resulting in head injuries, following which he died.
Police had opened fire after using canes to disperse the violent workers who torched the vehicles of educational institutions run by the factory, electronic goods and other properties. Nine persons had suffered bullet injuries in the
Ponniah also demanded that the government distribute Rs 10 lakhs to each of the nine workers of the factory who sustained bullet injuries in the police firing on Friday.
The administration should also suspend police officers responsible for the "repressive measures" against the workers who were seeking regularisation of temporary workers and reinstatement of dismissed or suspended workers, Ponniah said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case