Yanam: Trade unions call for bandh on Feb 2
Puducherry: Leaders of all trade unions here called for a bandh in the Puducherry Union Territory on February 2 to urge the territorial government to order a probe
by a High Court judge into the recent death of a union leader due to alleged police action in Yanam, an enclave of Puducherry in Andhra Pradesh.
In addition to a probe by a High Court judge, the unions are also seeking sanction of a solatium of Rs 25 lakhs to the family of the deceased union leader.
The decision was taken following a meeting of leaders of AITUC, CITU, INTUC, and unions of various other parties today, Dinesh Ponniah, Deputy General Secretary of the Puducherry state council of the AITUC, told a news agency.
Violence had broken out in Yanam on Jan 27 when frenzied workers of a private factory, Regency Ceramics, went on the rampage after their leader MS Murali Mohan was allegedly killed in police action outside the factory. The workers
attacked the residence of president (Operations) KC Chandrasekhar, resulting in head injuries, following which he died.
Police had opened fire after using canes to disperse the violent workers who torched the vehicles of educational institutions run by the factory, electronic goods and other properties. Nine persons had suffered bullet injuries in the
Ponniah also demanded that the government distribute Rs 10 lakhs to each of the nine workers of the factory who sustained bullet injuries in the police firing on Friday.
The administration should also suspend police officers responsible for the "repressive measures" against the workers who were seeking regularisation of temporary workers and reinstatement of dismissed or suspended workers, Ponniah said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...