Yanam: Trade unions call for bandh on Feb 2
Puducherry: Leaders of all trade unions here called for a bandh in the Puducherry Union Territory on February 2 to urge the territorial government to order a probe
by a High Court judge into the recent death of a union leader due to alleged police action in Yanam, an enclave of Puducherry in Andhra Pradesh.
In addition to a probe by a High Court judge, the unions are also seeking sanction of a solatium of Rs 25 lakhs to the family of the deceased union leader.
The decision was taken following a meeting of leaders of AITUC, CITU, INTUC, and unions of various other parties today, Dinesh Ponniah, Deputy General Secretary of the Puducherry state council of the AITUC, told a news agency.
Violence had broken out in Yanam on Jan 27 when frenzied workers of a private factory, Regency Ceramics, went on the rampage after their leader MS Murali Mohan was allegedly killed in police action outside the factory. The workers
attacked the residence of president (Operations) KC Chandrasekhar, resulting in head injuries, following which he died.
Police had opened fire after using canes to disperse the violent workers who torched the vehicles of educational institutions run by the factory, electronic goods and other properties. Nine persons had suffered bullet injuries in the
Ponniah also demanded that the government distribute Rs 10 lakhs to each of the nine workers of the factory who sustained bullet injuries in the police firing on Friday.
The administration should also suspend police officers responsible for the "repressive measures" against the workers who were seeking regularisation of temporary workers and reinstatement of dismissed or suspended workers, Ponniah said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj