Yao return to NBA next season `not ruled out`: Rockets
Houston: Chinese center Yao Ming is progressing well after foot surgery and while a return to court for the Houston Rockets next season remains unlikely, it has not been ruled out, the NBA team`s general manager said.
The hairline fracture to his left foot is the latest in a string of injuries to the 7ft-6in (2.28m) Yao and was described as "career-threatening" by the team doctor with the Rockets saying it would definitely rule him out for the 2009/10 season.
However, the 28-year-old underwent surgery on the fracture in Houston in July and Daryl Morey said the prognosis was positive.
"Yao Ming is progressing well," he told a leading sports channel. "I don`t think that (the end of career) is something that will happen, based on what I`m hearing from the doctors.”
"They do know that the bone will heal and he`ll get back on it. And they have not actually ruled out this season. I think that`s less likely than likely, but they haven`t ruled it out.”
"And next season, the outlook is very good. He just took off the cast for a short period (two weeks ago), so the doctors could examine it, and everything is going well. Everything is on track."
Yao fractured his foot during the Western Conference semi-finals against the Los Angeles Lakers on May 8 and the operation to repair it also included procedures to "change the alignment of his foot" and prevent the injury recurring.
The Shanghainese is China`s most popular sportsman and topped the most recent Forbes China list of entertainers with an estimated income of 357 million yuan (USD 52.27 million).
Seven-times an All Star, Yao has averaged 19.1 points and 9.3 rebounds per game since joining the Rockets in 2002. The 2009/10 NBA season starts on Oct. 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25