Youzhny overpowers Robredo to reach US Open last eight
New York: Number 12 seed Mikhail Youzhny of Russia reached the fourth grand slam quarter-final of his career with a convincing 7-5, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 victory over Spain`s Tommy Robredo at the US Open.
Youzhny, a semi-finalist at Flushing Meadows in 2006, successfully landed 62 percent of his first serves and blasted 50 winners to win the fourth-round encounter.
After dropping the first two sets, Robredo forced his way back into the match with a solitary break in the third set. But he did not have the consistency to challenge his 28-year-old opponent as the match wore on.
Robredo was one of five Spaniards in action in the men`s singles draw on day nine of the tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what