Yuvraj Singh out of CT; Kohli to replace
Johannesburg: India’s chances in the Champions Trophy suffered a big jolt after dashing middle order batsman Yuvraj Singh was injured during a practice session and ruled out of the entire tournament here on Wednesday.
According to reports, Yuvi fractured his finger during practice and left the field immediately for medical attention.
Virat Kohli has been named as replacement for the injured southpaw.
Yuvraj was enthusiastically taking part in the fielding session at the University Ground here. But in the process, he ended up hurting his right finger so badly that he couldn`t participate in the batting and bowling sessions which were conducted later in the day.
The left-hander was attended to by physio Nitin Patel before he proceeded for a medical examination.
India are already an injury-hit side going into the tournament, missing the services of star opener Virender Sehwag, who is nursing a shoulder problem.
Sehwag`s fellow opener Gautam Gambhir was also nursing a groin strain ahead of the tournament. Gambhir did not play in the team`s only practice match against New Zealand.
Pacer Zaheer Khan is also missing from action due to an injury.
Team India, who regained their number one spot in the ICC ODI rankings after South Africa’s loss to Sri Lanka yesterday, are scheduled too take on arch rivals Pakistan in their first match of the Champions Trophy on September 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’