Yuvraj Singh out of CT; Kohli to replace
Johannesburg: India’s chances in the Champions Trophy suffered a big jolt after dashing middle order batsman Yuvraj Singh was injured during a practice session and ruled out of the entire tournament here on Wednesday.
According to reports, Yuvi fractured his finger during practice and left the field immediately for medical attention.
Virat Kohli has been named as replacement for the injured southpaw.
Yuvraj was enthusiastically taking part in the fielding session at the University Ground here. But in the process, he ended up hurting his right finger so badly that he couldn`t participate in the batting and bowling sessions which were conducted later in the day.
The left-hander was attended to by physio Nitin Patel before he proceeded for a medical examination.
India are already an injury-hit side going into the tournament, missing the services of star opener Virender Sehwag, who is nursing a shoulder problem.
Sehwag`s fellow opener Gautam Gambhir was also nursing a groin strain ahead of the tournament. Gambhir did not play in the team`s only practice match against New Zealand.
Pacer Zaheer Khan is also missing from action due to an injury.
Team India, who regained their number one spot in the ICC ODI rankings after South Africa’s loss to Sri Lanka yesterday, are scheduled too take on arch rivals Pakistan in their first match of the Champions Trophy on September 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video