Yuvraj Singh`s father Yograj to contest as INLD candidate
Chandigarh: Indian cricketer Yuvraj
Singh`s father Yograj Singh, a former Test cricketer himself,
will contest the October 13 Haryana Assembly polls as Indian
National Lok Dal (INLD) candidate from Panchkula seat.
While releasing a second list of 32 candidates here
today which includes former Chief Minister and INLD president
Om Prakash Chautala who will be contesting from Ellenabad
segment, the party`s secretary general Ajay Chautala said
that their direct fight was with the ruling Congress.
The INLD chief, who was MLA from Rori segment in the
dissolved 90-member House, will be contesting the next month`s
poll from Ellenabad in his stronghold Sirsa district as Rori
constituency has been done away with following the
Delimitation process. He will also fight the polls from Uchana
segment in Jind.
Speaking to reporters, cricketer-turned-actor-turned
politician Yograj Singh said that he had obeyed and acted
according to the wishes of Ajay Chautala and his brother Abhay
Chautala, both of whom wanted him to contest from the newly
carved Panchkula seat.
"Recently, I stayed in Sirsa for a few days with Ajay
and Abhay and it was their desire that I should contest as
INLD candidate. Moreover, I have always been impressed by the
late (former Deputy Prime Minister and O P Chautala`s father)
Devi Lal. I consider it as my privelge that such a great
family has reposed such faith in me and I will work hard to
live up to their expectations," Yograj said.
Yograj said even though he was born in a family which
was close to the Congress and despite enjoying close ties with
senior Congress leader and MLA Venod Sharma, he had decided to
go with INLD "as I could not turn down the offer made by Ajay
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference