Yuvraj Singh`s father Yograj to contest as INLD candidate
Chandigarh: Indian cricketer Yuvraj
Singh`s father Yograj Singh, a former Test cricketer himself,
will contest the October 13 Haryana Assembly polls as Indian
National Lok Dal (INLD) candidate from Panchkula seat.
While releasing a second list of 32 candidates here
today which includes former Chief Minister and INLD president
Om Prakash Chautala who will be contesting from Ellenabad
segment, the party`s secretary general Ajay Chautala said
that their direct fight was with the ruling Congress.
The INLD chief, who was MLA from Rori segment in the
dissolved 90-member House, will be contesting the next month`s
poll from Ellenabad in his stronghold Sirsa district as Rori
constituency has been done away with following the
Delimitation process. He will also fight the polls from Uchana
segment in Jind.
Speaking to reporters, cricketer-turned-actor-turned
politician Yograj Singh said that he had obeyed and acted
according to the wishes of Ajay Chautala and his brother Abhay
Chautala, both of whom wanted him to contest from the newly
carved Panchkula seat.
"Recently, I stayed in Sirsa for a few days with Ajay
and Abhay and it was their desire that I should contest as
INLD candidate. Moreover, I have always been impressed by the
late (former Deputy Prime Minister and O P Chautala`s father)
Devi Lal. I consider it as my privelge that such a great
family has reposed such faith in me and I will work hard to
live up to their expectations," Yograj said.
Yograj said even though he was born in a family which
was close to the Congress and despite enjoying close ties with
senior Congress leader and MLA Venod Sharma, he had decided to
go with INLD "as I could not turn down the offer made by Ajay
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus