Zambia, Cameroon into Nations Cup quarter-finals
Benguela: Zambia and Cameroon advanced to the African Nations Cup quarter-finals by the slimmest margin after Group D ended in a dramatic three-way tie.
Zambia beat Gabon 2-1 in Benguela to take top spot while Cameroon twice came from behind to draw 2-2 with Tunisia in Lubango and finish second.
The results saw Zambia and Cameroon end on four points, along with Gabon who had been top of the standings before the last day of group matches at the tournament in Angola.
Zambia, who will face Nigeria in the last eight in Lubango on Monday, finished top by virtue of the number of goals scored against the other three teams.
They were level on points with Cameroon and Gabon and also tied on goal difference but in a mini-league between the trio had scored four goals to Cameroons three and Gabons two to advance according to tournament regulations.
Cameroon will return to Benguela to play holders Egypt in their quarter-final tie on Monday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'