Zambia, Cameroon into Nations Cup quarter-finals
Benguela: Zambia and Cameroon advanced to the African Nations Cup quarter-finals by the slimmest margin after Group D ended in a dramatic three-way tie.
Zambia beat Gabon 2-1 in Benguela to take top spot while Cameroon twice came from behind to draw 2-2 with Tunisia in Lubango and finish second.
The results saw Zambia and Cameroon end on four points, along with Gabon who had been top of the standings before the last day of group matches at the tournament in Angola.
Zambia, who will face Nigeria in the last eight in Lubango on Monday, finished top by virtue of the number of goals scored against the other three teams.
They were level on points with Cameroon and Gabon and also tied on goal difference but in a mini-league between the trio had scored four goals to Cameroons three and Gabons two to advance according to tournament regulations.
Cameroon will return to Benguela to play holders Egypt in their quarter-final tie on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam