Zambia, Cameroon into Nations Cup quarter-finals
Benguela: Zambia and Cameroon advanced to the African Nations Cup quarter-finals by the slimmest margin after Group D ended in a dramatic three-way tie.
Zambia beat Gabon 2-1 in Benguela to take top spot while Cameroon twice came from behind to draw 2-2 with Tunisia in Lubango and finish second.
The results saw Zambia and Cameroon end on four points, along with Gabon who had been top of the standings before the last day of group matches at the tournament in Angola.
Zambia, who will face Nigeria in the last eight in Lubango on Monday, finished top by virtue of the number of goals scored against the other three teams.
They were level on points with Cameroon and Gabon and also tied on goal difference but in a mini-league between the trio had scored four goals to Cameroons three and Gabons two to advance according to tournament regulations.
Cameroon will return to Benguela to play holders Egypt in their quarter-final tie on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof