Zardari asks FIH to support Pak in reviving sporting ties
Karachi: President Asif Ali Zardari today
said Pakistan is safe to host sporting megaevents and called
upon the International Hockey Federation to support the
troubled nation in its bid to revive sporting activities in
During a meeting with FIH President Leandro Negre, who is
on his maiden visit to Pakistan, President Zardari assured
foolproof security arrangements for the visiting teams, if the
world body allocates an international event to the country.
A statement from the President house said Zardari had
appreciated the role of FIH in promoting hockey in the world
and asked Negre to allot an international event to Pakistan,
assuring him that it would be a success and without any
Negre, meanwhile, said President Zardari had assured him
that Pakistan remained a safe place for international events.
"We know Pakistan`s role and contribution to world hockey
and I am keen to see international hockey in the nation.”
"I will do my best to convince the FIH members to allocate
a tournament to Pakistan but we also have to keep a close
watch on the security situation," Negre said.
The FIH has twice moved the Champions Trophy out of
Pakistan for security reasons after some participating teams
refused to tour the nation because of security concerns.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Modi finds 'Little India' with Diwali lights, delicious food in Singapore - In Pics