Zaveri Bazaar blast due to scooter bomb
New Delhi: Union Home Secretary RK Singh, Friday, confirmed that the bomb that went off in Zaveri Bazaar was placed in a scooter.
Briefing reporters here, Singh said, “We have identified the scooter in which one of the bombs was planted. The CCTV footage is being scrutinised…all the people who figure in it have to be recognised by local people. It is voluminous; there are about 11 CDs that have to be gone through.”
“All the people need to identified. People who get recognised have to be put through a data base to see whether they match other people. Suspicious people are being verified,” he added.
“Various people are being questioned on the basis of previous known linkages,” he pointed.
Clearly, investigators probing the deadly Mumbai blasts are pinning their hopes on close circuit television (CCTV) footages for clues.
Zee News has accessed CCTV footages from Zaveri Bazaar and Opera House, the disturbing visuals show people running for cover and later helping those injured. All in all 23 CCTV cameras are said have captured crucial images.
As per reports, one camera in Opera House has captured the images of the possible suspects. The footage shows three or four people talking on the phone for over an hour and a half at the same spot.
Moreover, a person carrying a bag is reported to have been identified as a suspect. He is seen moving towards a parked motorcycle and within seconds there is an explosion.
As the government has already confirmed that one of the bodies recovered from the Opera House site had an electric circuit on it, reports speculate whether it was the same person with the bag – possibly carrying the bomb – which exploded prematurely, killing him as well?
Importantly, the investigators have not rejected the possibility of the presence of a human bomb.
Maharashtra Anti-terrorism Squad chief Rakesh Maria said that investigating officials are thoroughly going through the CCTV footages obtained from the blast sites. "The
volume is a huge and we are going through each and every footage," he said, adding that it was too early to say whether a "human bomb" was used.
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram said it was too early "to point a finger at any one group".
All groups "hostile to India" are on the "radar" in the probe, he said. The minister revised the death toll to 18 including a person with a severed head from 21 which was put out in an official list released by the ministry. 131 (EDs Correct) persons were injured of whom 23 are in a serious condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack