Zvonareva stuns number one Wozniacki to win Qatar title
Doha: World number three Vera Zvonareva swept past top ranked Caroline Wozniacki 6-4 6-4 to land her first title in over a year at the Qatar Ladies Open on Saturday.
The Russian surprised even herself after suffering shock defeats in her previous two tournaments, losing to Daniela Hantuchova in the semifinals at Pattaya City and Alisa Kleybanova in Dubai.
Despite playing three-set matches in the quarter and semi-finals, Zvonareva showed no signs of fatigue against an opponent who had not previously dropped a set.
Zvonareva broke in the third game and held her serve to take the first set and came back from a break down as she wrapped up the match.
"This is definitely a special moment for me, especially after that tough match against Daniela (Hantuchova) and another great one against Jelena (Jankovic)," said Zvonareva on the WTA website (www.wtatour.com).
"Coming into this tournament I wasn`t expecting to end my week like this. It`s great," she added after clinching her 11th tour title.
World number one Wozniacki had no complaints. "I`m always disappointed to lose but I played a great competitor today," said the Dane, winner in Dubai last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users