Zvonareva stuns number one Wozniacki to win Qatar title
Doha: World number three Vera Zvonareva swept past top ranked Caroline Wozniacki 6-4 6-4 to land her first title in over a year at the Qatar Ladies Open on Saturday.
The Russian surprised even herself after suffering shock defeats in her previous two tournaments, losing to Daniela Hantuchova in the semifinals at Pattaya City and Alisa Kleybanova in Dubai.
Despite playing three-set matches in the quarter and semi-finals, Zvonareva showed no signs of fatigue against an opponent who had not previously dropped a set.
Zvonareva broke in the third game and held her serve to take the first set and came back from a break down as she wrapped up the match.
"This is definitely a special moment for me, especially after that tough match against Daniela (Hantuchova) and another great one against Jelena (Jankovic)," said Zvonareva on the WTA website (www.wtatour.com).
"Coming into this tournament I wasn`t expecting to end my week like this. It`s great," she added after clinching her 11th tour title.
World number one Wozniacki had no complaints. "I`m always disappointed to lose but I played a great competitor today," said the Dane, winner in Dubai last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter