Zvonareva torches tired Jankovic in Doha
Doha: Vera Zvonareva powered past a lethargic Jelena Jankovic in the opening game of the WTA Championships on Tuesday, keeping her hopes alive of grabbing the world number one spot from Caroline Wozniacki.
Russian Zvonareva, decked out in host Qatar`s colours of maroon and white, had much more verve and zip than her struggling Serbian opponent, who offered only fleeting resistance in the first set before capitulating in the second, losing 6-3, 6-0.
Jankovic had exited her two previous tournaments in the second round citing ill health, and was clearly under the weather against the world number two in the White Group opener at the Khalifa Tennis Complex.
Leading 4-2 in the first set, Zvonareva ran the legs off Jankovic in the seventh game, though the Serbian fought off several break points to eventually hold serve.
That would prove a temporary reprieve, however, as Jankovic would fail to win another game, Zvonareva winning the next eight in a row to wrap up the match in style.
In the maroon group, world number one Wozniacki is taking on Elena Dementieva while French Open champion Francesca Schiavone plays Sam Stosur in the evening`s final match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez