Denied wheelchair, patient forced to use son's toy cycle to reach hospital ward
Hyderabad: An ailing man, who refused to pay a bribe of Rs 150 for a wheelchair at a hospital here, was forced to use his son's toy cycle to reach the doctor's ward.
The incident comes as a big blow to the Telangana government which had sought to restore the confidence of the people in the public health care system.
The incident took place at the Gandhi Hospital in Hyderabad.
Raju was denied a wheelchair when he refused to pay a bribe of Rs 150.
The 33-year-old has been visiting the hospital for a surgery.
The family was asked to arrange for blood before the surgery but every time they visited the hospital, they were told no bed available.
“Earlier, we used to pay. But during our last three trips, we have been using our child’s mini-scooter. We are very poor. We cannot pay Rs 100-150 for a wheelchair each time," Raju's wife Santoshi told CNN-News 18.
"We have four children. We are facing a very tough time. Doctors say there are no beds.
“They ask us to arrange 4-5 packets of blood, saying the surgery can take place only then. We don't know many people here. What should we do?" she asked.
When the staff saw her talking to mediapersons, they were promptly provided with a wheelchair, the report said, adding the family has appealed to the government for help.
Meanwhile, the authorities have promised to take action against the erring staff after the news came to light.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why