Containers in ports being searched for fake currency notes
Chennai: Containers at various ports across the country are being searched by Customs and DRI officials following a tip-off that fake currency notes were being smuggled into the country in ships.
The searches are being held for the last two days at various ports, official sources said.
"Searches are being conducted at ports across the country. The Customs department is conducting the searches in presence of Department of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) officials," a senior official said.
Replying to a question, the official declined to confirm whether containers that arrived from Pakistan and Sri Lanka were being searched as reported in a section of media, and said, "Containers are being searched."
Two instances of seizure of fake Rs 2,000 currency notes were reported in West Bengal last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what