Fatwa against Nahid Afrin: Shiv Sena backs Assamese singer, says Taliban not ruling India
New Delhi: Uddhav-Thackeray-led Shiv Sena has now jumped in support of a 16-year-old Assamese singer Nahid Afrin against whom a fatwa has been issued by several Muslim clerics asking her not to perform in public.
Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut on Thursday said that such people are misusing their power to sabotage young talent and added that India is a democratic nation and not under Taliban's rule.
"Assam has a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government. These clerics need to understand that Assam is in India and not in Pakistan. Taliban rule, which exists in Pakistan and Afghanistan, is not implemented yet here. They are misusing politics to demoralise a 16-year-old," Raut was quoted as saying by ANI.
"If they have the guts then they should try issuing fatwa against men. The new generation has confidence and immense talent which they want to showcase in front of the world. These clerics should not stop such enthusiasm," he added.
He further said the government should also take steps to curb these issues, adding, "all political parties including Shiv Sena should stand by the girl and provide her security."
As many as 42 clerics issued a fatwa against reality singing star Afrin, who was the first runner-up of a musical reality TV show, asking her to stop performing in public.
According to the reports, the fatwa has been issued against her keeping in view an upcoming event that was to be held on March 25.
Since the venue of the event was in the vicinity of a mosque and a graveyard, the clerics announced to boycott her singing programmes and have asked her to stop performing in public.
Afrin, who made her Bollywood singing debut for actress Sonakshi Sinha in the 2016 movie `Akira`, first rose to stardom after a successful stint on a reality singing show in 2015.
With ANI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why