In response to China, India raises troop deployment in Arunachal Pradesh

Troops of India and China were locked in a 73-day-long standoff in Doklam from June 16, 2017. The face-off had ended on August 28, 2017.

In response to China, India raises troop deployment in Arunachal Pradesh
Representational image (Pic courtesy: PTI)
Play

Kibithu: India has deployed more troops in the mountainous terrains of Dibang, Dau-Delai and Lohit valleys along the borders with China in Arunachal sector.

PTI quoted military officials as saying that India is also strengthening its surveillance mechanism to keep an eye on Chinese activities along the borders.

The officials also said that India has been focusing on dominating the treacherous terrains which include snow-clad mountains at an altitude of over 17,000 feet and river passes, as part of a strategy to counter China's rising assertiveness along the border in Dibang, Dau-Delai and Lohit valleys.

"Post Doklam, we have increased our activities manifold. We are fully prepared to deal with any challenge," the news agency quoted an Army officer, posted in Kibithu, as saying.

Meanwhile, right across the LAC in Arunachal Pradesh, a cluster of fresh Chinese infrastructure has been observed. which includes a new camp for People's Liberation Army (PLA) along with several houses.

The new constructions have come up in Tatu, which lies on the other side of Kibithu town in Arunachal's Anjaw district. Kibithu is one of the five Border Personnel Meeting points between the Indian Army and China's PLA.

A Chinese telecommunications tower and observation post with surveillance equipment were also observed, reported news agency ANI.

Troops of India and China were locked in a 73-day-long standoff in Doklam from June 16, 2017, after the Indian side stopped the building of a road in the area by the Chinese Army. The face-off had ended on August 28, 2017.

Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had said on March 25, 2018, that India was "alert" and ready to deal with any "unforeseen situation" in Doklam. She had also said that the government was constantly working towards modernisation of forces.

"We are alert and ready for any unforeseen situation in Doklam. We are constantly working towards the modernisation of our forces. We will maintain our territorial integrity," she had told reporters in Dehradun on the sidelines of a function to honour families of distinguished Armymen, war widows and veterans, as per PTI.

Earlier on March 5, 2018, Sitharaman had said that Indian and Chinese troops had "redeployed" themselves away from the face-off site in Doklam and China had undertaken construction of helipads, sentry posts and trenches for its Army personnel there.

And, in January 2018, Army Chief General Bipin Rawat had said the time had come for India to shift its focus from borders with Pakistan to the frontier with China.

(With Agency inputs) 

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close