Beijing: China started operations of one of the world's longest high-speed railways that links the country's prosperous eastern coast to the less-developed southwestern part of the country.
Here's all you need to know about China's Shanghai-Kunming bullet train line.
- The Shanghai-Kunming line -- 2,252 km in length.
- It traverses the five provinces of Zhejiang, Jiangxi, Hunan, Guizhou and Yunnan.
- It cuts travel time from Shanghai to Kunming from 34 to 11 hours.
- The maximum speed is 330 km per hour.
- The line is also the longest east-west high-speed railway in China.
- A longer rail line stretching north to south is the 2,298-km Beijing-Guangzhou line, put into operation in 2012.
- China has built more than 20,000 km of high-speed rail lines.
With PTI Inputs