The body of Deputy Superintendent of Police Ayub Pandit was recovered on Friday morning from outside the Jamia Masjid in the Nowhatta area of the old city where he was attacked.
Jammu And Kashmir News
Two Indian soldiers were killed by Pakistani troops on Thursday who carried out an attack 600 metres inside the Indian territory in Poonch sector of Jammu and Kashmir,
A group of militants tried to sneak in from Pakistan- occupied Kashmir but the bid was foiled by the alert troops, an Army official said.
The Pakistan troops on Thursday violated the ceasefire along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir.
Nearly a week after a Police Inspector and five policemen were killed in an ambush by militants, the Jammu and Kashmir government led by Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has now provided bulletproof vehicles to police officers for patrolling in sensitive areas.
The slain terrorists men have been identified as Majid Mir, Shariq Ahmad and Irshad Ahmad.
Security forces launched a cordon-and-search operation in Kakapora area of Pulwama around 6 pm following information about presence of militants there.
In order to ensure the safe and secure movement of yatri vehicles, the state police has issued a travel advisory for the forthcoming Amarnath Yatra.
The 74 projects, 71 of which have been tendered out, would be executed in Jammu and Srinagar cities, besides the towns of Anantnag, Leh and Kargil, said the spokesman.
The official claimed that they had received reports earlier also about the SPO selling illicit liquor after which he was put under surveillance.
Two militants were killed on Wednesday in a gunfight with security forces in the Kashmir Valley.
The security forces have cordoned off the area and are trying to smoke out the militants.
Hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani has said that there was no threat to the annual Amarnath Yatra, scheduled to begin later this month, stressing that the pilgrims were "our revered guests", who would be received as per the age-old traditions.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti on Monday visited the family of the police officer who was killed near Achabal in south Kashmir along with his five associates.
There is still tension among border residents in the twin districts over the sudden firing by Pakistani troops.
"The state government's inputs and strategy are to be given priority. The Centre cannot just make a statement and intervene," he said.
Fourteen police personnel and two special police officers have sacrificed their lives in various militancy- related incidents during the year.
The robbers broke open the ATM at Zirpora in the Bijbehara area of the district last night, said a police official.
Amid the increasing number of unprovoked firing by terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir, Union Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju on Sunday said the state government would be provided all necessary support by the Centre to maintain peace in the Valley.
Naresh Agarwal also said people cannot expect peace in the Valley till Mehbooba Mufti is the Chief Minister in Jammu and Kashmir.
A group of militants attacked an Army convoy in south Kashmir's Anantnag district on Sunday.
A civilian, who was injured yesterday in the unprovoked firing by terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir`s Pulwama district, succumbed to his injuries on Sunday.
"No..Not at all..Certainly not", Singh told reporters in reply to a question whether the situation in the Valley has gone out of the control of central and state government.
Singh, who was attached with 8 Sikh LI regiment, was killed yesterday when Pakistan violated the ceasefire by firing on forward?posts along the LoC in Rajouri district of J&K.
Reports from the area said the motorcycle-borne militants had fired at the CRPF vehicle.
Singh backed the vow of the J&K police to eliminate the terror group instrumental in killing of six cops in Anantnag district of South Kashmir yesterday.
The perpetrators of the ambush in which six policemen were killed would "face the law" very soon, Jammu and Kashmir DGP S P Vaid said here on Saturday and announced a bounty of Rs 10 lakh for LeT commander Bashir Lashkari who is believed to have orchestrated the attack.
Naik Bakhtawar Singh was killed when Pakistan violated the ceasefire by firing on forward posts along the LoC in Rajouri district of Jammu and Kashmir.
The allegation against the state law minister was levelled by opposition National Conference MLAs Abdul Majid Bhat and Mohammad Akbar Lone in the state Assembly here.
A group of 10-15 heavily-armed LeT militants ambushed a vehicle carrying six policemen, including Feroz Ahmed Dar, on Friday evening.
- India's first traffic robot introduced in Indore
- Martyr Kashmiri cop Firoz Dar's poem on Facebook goes viral
- DNA: Analysing Anil Kumble's exit statement as India coach
- J&K: Three LeT terrorists killed in Pulwama
- Anil Kumble steps down as Team India head coach
- All you need to know about operation 'All Out' in J&K
- DNA: Analysis of life taking speed breakers
- Two injured in firing outside Jalandhar mall
- Agra: Drunk policeman creates ruckus, assaults hotel staff
- Lucknow: 7-year-old girl dies after iron gate of UP Secretariat falls on her
- Watch: Record 5 lakh people do Yoga in Ahmedabad
- DNA: Analysing the power of yoga
- DNA: Today in History, June 21, 2016
- Presidential election: JD(U) supports NDA pick Ram Nath Kovind
- Take a look! 25 best pictures of International Yoga Day celebrations
- Bihar Board 10th result 2017 LIVE: BSEB 10th result 2017/Matric result 2017 declared, check biharboard.ac.in; overall pass percentage is 50.12
- Delhi on high alert after Intelligence Bureau warns of London-style terror attack
- Virender Sehwag reacts on Anil Kumble's resignation, says Jumbo's shoes will be hard to fill
- Countdown begins as ISRO set to launch Cartosat-2 with 30 nano satellites Friday
- After Anil Kumble-Virat Kohli fiasco, fans demand return of MS Dhoni as India captain
- World must be prepared for an asteroid strike, warns scientist
- BJP leader Bandi Ramesh hacked to death in Karnataka's Ballari
- GST effect: AC, first class train fares to go up
- Day of retirements for New Zealand: Black Caps lose Luke Ronchi, Jeetan Patel on same day
- Rajdhani, Shatabdi trains now set for a makeover: Here is all you need to know
- Virat Kohli vs Anil Kumble: Batting great Sunil Gavaskar demands clarification from India captain
- Refrain from promoting GST or face protest: Congress' advice to Amitabh Bachchan
- Virat Kohli's favourite Ravi Shastri to apply for India job only under one condition
- China funding Pakistan's mega dam in Pak-occupied Kashmir?
- Darjeeling unrest: Gorkhaland offers 12-hr window to schools to evacuate students, indefinite strike to continue