BJP hopes to do "exceedingly well" in K`taka polls: Jaitley
Bangalore: Senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley on Tuesday said the party hoped to do "exceedingly well" and give a "good fight" to Congress in the May five Assembly polls in Karnataka as it had overcome many challenges.
Speaking to reporters here, he also dismissed suggestions that intra-party squabbles in the BJP would have a bearing on its electoral prospects, saying, "We did have many challenges. We have overcome the challenges."
Jaitley said the party`s main focus was developmental agenda and "there are several areas where we did quite well and we stuck to our position on issues we wanted to irrespective of challenges we faced."
Jaitley`s assertions come amidst continuing desertions of the BJP by many legislators, several of whom have crossed over to Karnataka Janatha Paksha launched in December last year by former party strongman B S Yeddyurappa.
The BJP is also battling the anti-incumbency factor, a picture reflected in the recently held elections to Urban Local Bodies in which it shared third spot with JDS. The Congress which secured the number one position is hoping to replicate its success in the Assembly polls.
To a question, Jaitley said the BJP would give "a very good fight" to the Congress. "No election is decided till the last vote is polled." Jaitley said.
"What is now history, we need not discuss that," he said, to a question whether the BJP missed Yeddyurappa, known for his "killer instinct", who is mostly credited with having installed the first-ever BJP government in the South.
He said the local functionaries have planned and prepared the manifesto and the draft was being discussed. "Our campaign is being planned. Entire state and central party, all our central leaders and chief ministers with full strength will all be here to assist the state party in this campaign. We hope do do exceedingly well in this election", he said.
Asked about Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi campaigning in the state, he said,"all our central leaders and chief ministers will be part of our campaign".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!