BJP sees red over Sena`s `happiness` over Karnataka defeat
Mumbai: The BJP on Wednesday expressed surprise over Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray expressing his happiness over the Jagadish Shettar-led government`s defeat in Karnataka Assembly elections.
"The results in Karnataka are very saddening for the BJP. But what is surprising is the happiness expressed by leaders of our alliance partner," Maharashtra state BJP spokesperson Madhav Bhandari said.
His comments came after Uddhav expressed happiness, earlier today, over the dislodging of the BJP government in Karnataka "which had heaped injustice" on the Marathi-speaking population in the border areas of the neighbouring state.
"The issue of the Marathi-speaking population is entirely a creation of the Congress. When this is the reality, the happiness felt by those speaking about interests of Marathi people is surprising and saddening," Bhandari said.
Earlier today, Uddhav reportedly told reporters here that, "While nobody expected the Congress to win, I am personally happy that the government which always meted out injustice to Marathi people in the border areas has been dislodged."
Uddhav, however, also said that the BJP should not perceive his remarks as criticism.
"My statement was in no way a criticism of the BJP, but merely a condemnation of a particular government that overlooked the aspirations of the Marathi people in the border areas," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29