Cong is main rival, not soft on JD(S), says BJP
Bangalore: State BJP chief Prahlad Joshi on Thursday dismissed suggestions that his party is soft on the JD-S with an eye on post-poll tie-up with the H D Deve Gowda-led outfit but asserted that the Congress would be the main rival in the May five Assembly elections.
"Our (main) competitor is Congress party. That`s why we are attacking Congress", Joshi told reporters when asked if his party is being soft on JDS and has kept the option of joining forces with it in the post-poll scenario.
"Wherever JD-S is our nearest rival,our party and all of us have to appropriately attack (JDS); we are doing it", he said.
When it was pointed out that BJP was soft on JD-S even in Old Mysore region (consisting of districts such as Mysore and Mandya) where the latter has a strong base, Joshi sought to draw the attention to the statements (made against JDS) of BJP national vice-president and former chief minister Sadananda Gowda.
He argued that it does not make sense to attack JD-S in areas where it has no base and is not a serious contender.
In the 2008 elections to the 224-member Assembly, BJP bagged 110 seats, followed by Congress 80, JDS 28 and independents six.
Despite denials, it has not gone unnoticed during campaigning that BJP has largely targetted Congress, while JD-S has chosen the same party to attack, giving an impression in some quarters that the two parties might be positioning themselves to join hands if numbers stack up in their favour after the elections.
Meanwhile, Joshi said the BJP would get simple majority in the coming elections. Despite "political challenges" for the party and government during the last five years, the BJP rule was marked by lot of development works, he said.
He dismissed as "misinformation campaign" the charges in some quarters he is a "puppet" of senior party leader H N Ananth Kumar and a "rubber-stamp" of RSS. While he is proud he has an RSS background, he stressed he had always been in the forefront of party-sponsored pro-people agitations and that he had won his Lok Sabha seat with a huge margin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'