EC reprimands K`tka deputy CM for poll code violation
New Delhi: The Election Commission Tuesday reprimanded Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister K S Eshwarappa for violating the Model Code of Conduct in connection with his alleged hate speech and asked him to be cautious in future.
The BJP leader who is also the candidate from Shimoga assembly constituency in Karnataka has been booked for allegedly inciting communal feelings and promoting hatred and ill-will between different classes in society in a speech on April 9 while campaigning in Shimoga for the Karnataka Assembly elections.
Karnataka goes to polls on May 5 and counting will take place on May 8.
The poll body issued an order today after taking into account Eshwarappa`s initial reply to its notice issued to him on April 12 and twice extending the time for his final reply till April 22 on his request.
Today`s order was passed after the full Commission headed by Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath and Election Commissioners H S Brahma and Nasim Zaidi discussed the issue.
"The perusal of your impugned statement leaves no one in doubt that the same has the effect of inciting communal feelings and promoting hatred and ill-will between different classes of citizens of India, in a surcharged election atmosphere, which is prohibited under the Model Code of Conduct;
"Now, therefore, the Commission has decided to reprimand you for having made the above provocative statement in violation of the Model Code of Conduct and has cautioned you to be careful in future," the EC order to Eshwarappa said.
The EC had obtained the CD of the hate speech and reviewed its contents where Eshwarappa had made certain controversial remarks.
While reprimanding Eshwarappa, the EC did not accept his contention that he had made the speech on April 9 before the election process in Karnataka started on April 10 with the issue of poll notification.
The poll body said the apex court has agreed that the Model Code of Conduct (MCC) comes into force from the date of announcement of election schedule by the Election Commission which was March 20, 2013 in this case and not from the date of notification of election.
It also held that the statement of Eshwarappa so made prima facie violated Sub Para (1) and (3) of Para (I) of MCC, and also constituted a violation of Sec 123 and 125 of Representation of the People Act, 1951; 153A, 153 B and 505 of IPC amounting to corrupt practice and electoral offence in electoral matters.
The Model Code prohibits inciting any communal feelings and no party or candidate shall include in any activity which may aggravate existing differences or create mutual hatred or cause tension between different castes and communities, religious or linguistic.
It says there shall be no appeal to caste or communal feelings for securing votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’