`Entry tax on non-Goan vehicles added to BJP`s Karnataka defeat`
Panaji: Goa government`s move to impose Entry Tax on vehicles from other states is one of the factors responsible for BJP`s debacle in Karnataka Assembly polls, according to opposition Congress.
"The imposition of entry tax (on vehicles from other states) is definitely one of the reasons for BJP`s defeat in Karnataka...People from Karnataka have shown their resentment in the form of voting against BJP", Goa Pradesh Congress Committee president Subhash Shirodkar said.
Seeking to drive a wedge, Shirodkar claimed that chief minister Manohar Parrikar did not pay heed to BJP president Rajnath Singh`s assurance to people in Karnataka that the levy will be scrapped.
"BJP president Rajnath Singh, during his campaigning in Karnataka, had made a statement that he would ask Goa government to withdraw the Entry Tax, but chief minister Manohar Parrikar did not listen", he said.
Goa government imposed entry tax on non-Goan vehicles entering the state from April 15.
The levy of Rs 1,000 on heavy vehicles had raised the hackles of transporters who have threatened of stopping the goods and passenger traffic to Goa from midnight of May 12 onwards.
Shirodkar said that the state government could have explored other means to generate revenue instead of imposition of entry tax.
Meanwhile, hailing the victory of Congress in Karnataka as "a backlash by people for corruption and misrule of BJP", Shirodkar said the outcome spells portend for BJP in 2014 general elections.
"This victory is like a wave that would continue in the favour of Congress for next round of Assembly elections in four states and later in Lok Sabha polls", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks