Karnataka Assembly polls 2013: 4,000 Chitradurga villagers choose to abstain from voting
Zee Media Bureau
Bengaluru: Around 40,000 inhabitants of Dodda Ullarthi village in Chitradurga district have decided not to vote during the upcoming Karnataka Assembly polls.
Newspapers reported that the villagers live in constant fear of being evicted, hence the decision.
Villagers` future has been in doldrums ever since Karnataka government allocated 10,000 acres of Amritmahal Kaval grasslands in Challakere taluk of Chitradurga for setting up massive facilities of DRDO, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, IISc, ISRO and a wide range of downstream defense related manufacturing facilities promoted by Indian and foreign transnational corporations.
Although the allocation took place in 2008, residents of 60 villagers in the area claim they were never informed of the take-over, the report added.
The villagers depend on the forest for firewood, fruits, graze cattle there.
The community has even filed a PIL in Karnataka High Court on this issue.
Environment support groups claim that the inhabitants were not consulted before the takeover, a move that could affect their lives and livelihood.
A Gram Panchayat member from Dodda Ullarthi village was quoted by the report as saying that more villages would soon be joining the `no-vote` campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide